Search Unity

How to make a Daydream Icon / Splash screen

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by ibrews, Nov 23, 2016.

1. ibrews

ibrews

I notice the icon I associate with my app shows up as normal in my apps menu, but in Daydream it just shows the Unity icon. How do I fix this?

Also I love that many of the apps in the Daydream store have a stereoscopic 360 panorama to go with it. Can this be done within Unity? Thanks!

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Open up the Daydream VR Device expando and you should be presented with the options to set the Daydream store fore and back icons (which is how they get the stereoscopic effect).

ibrews likes this.
  3. Claytonious

Claytonious

ibrews likes this.
  4. ibrews

ibrews

Excellent! Thanks for the help Claytonious and joejo!

5. Peter-Bickhofe

Peter-Bickhofe

Is it possible that the foreground and background images cant be replaced after the first compile?
    i expanded the daydream menue and put the two images there. i still see the default unity icon in the vr menue.
    please help. is there anything i can do to reset the vr menue icon. already tried to uninstall the last installed version.

thx!

6. Sir-Gatlin

Sir-Gatlin

Where do I find this ? in unity or the google play dev portal? Im guessing, expando is a typo?

7. Claytonious

Claytonious

In Unity, in Player Settings for Android.

8. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

upload_2017-10-9_11-15-25.png

The "expando" is highlighted in blue. They hide all the good settings in there :)

Sir-Gatlin likes this.
  9. Sir-Gatlin

Sir-Gatlin

Ah crap. I am porting an old app to Daydream. is there an alternative way to do this in Unity 5.5.4? I see on the daydream website that you put the items in the android manifest, but Im not sure where I need to place the images so it knows where to find them?

10. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

It's present in 5.6 too. Are you sure it's not there but in a different place? In 5.x this setting (virtual reality sdk) is located somewhere else but it still has the expando and other options

11. Sir-Gatlin

Sir-Gatlin

virtual reality sdk does exists, just no daydream option.

12. Claytonious

Claytonious

You're really going to need to be on 5.6+ to be successful with Daydream, even if it weren't for the fact that apparently your 5.5.4 version doesn't support it.

13. Sir-Gatlin

Sir-Gatlin

I installed the 5.6 and i still did not see the option anywhere. I got the app working in 2017 but am getting a build error. I tried updating to the latest googlevr and a list of errors...

14. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

I think you have to switch platforms to Android in the Build Settings dialog before you can see Daydream in the VR settings

15. Sir-Gatlin

Sir-Gatlin

yea the project will not launch when I turn on Vr support through unity. Im not sure what is going on. I just want to be able to add a VR icon to this app in Unity 5.5.4... the app runs fine on daydream...

16. djTomServo2

djTomServo2

Is this a pro only feature? I've made my icon files to the specified resolution and settings (512x512 PNG) and set them in the Foreground and Background Icon settings, but I'm still getting the Unity logo in Daydream Home. I notice when I look in \Temp\StagingArea\res\, there's an "app_icon.png" in \drawable-mdpi that's the unity logo and a two icons called "vr_icon_back" and "vr_icon_front" in \drawable-nodpi, which are the logos I want for daydream home. AM I missing something?

EDIT: My fix turned out to be uninstalling and re-installing Daydream. Definitely not conducive to quick iteration...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    SurgeS likes this.
  17. Sir-Gatlin

Sir-Gatlin

Where do you find the drawable folder? I have been looking for a way to access this folder to change the icons without needing the vr skd option.

18. djTomServo2

djTomServo2

There are a couple, I think the ones you're probably looking for are in:
    <Unity_Root>\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Apk\res

19. FloBeber

FloBeber

I love your EDIT. Thank you man. Just wasted 2 hours of my time :]