Search Unity

How to make a anime like game like guilty gear strive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theshaggyking347, Oct 19, 2022.

1. theshaggyking347

theshaggyking347

upload_2022-10-18_22-31-2.png

upload_2022-10-18_22-31-30.png

i want to make shading like this

upload_2022-10-18_22-33-5.png
    and lighting like this i know there is toon shaders but how to make this light effect here and put it into my game? any suggestions? I want to make a video game that looks like a high quality anime like studio mappa (i like chainsaw man

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

There is no simple process for this. What you're looking at is going to be a combination of novel shader use as well as careful processing of the models themselves. Here's two breakdowns of how everything is handled in Xrd, Strive's immediate predecessor. The process is largely the same between them.

https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2099538/#Comment_2099538
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2107579/#Comment_2107579
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2110010/#Comment_2110010

neginfinity and Ryiah like this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

Well, you can't do that with just a shader. It is an INCREDIBLY teidous work where you edit normals manually and tweak individual bones manually to mimic small errors created by human artists. Also you need to make sure your aniamtion is running at 15-30 fps with no interpolation.

The video @Murgilod posted explains the whole process. It is not easy at all, and it is very time consuming.

4. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

As @Murgilod pointed out, most of the magic happens in the assets rather than in the engine. Getting this kind of look requires extensive preparation and care during the authoring of the assets.

In short, the way Guilty Gear does this is by having two sets of textures - one for direct lighting and one for shaded. Deciding which texture is in shade can easily be done through dot product of surface normal vs light direction.

The actual magic comes from the authoring of the vertex normals and UVs though, where they use something people refer to as "square UV mapping technique". Mastering this unconventional technique will be hard, and in the end it may not even be worth it. You can achieve something similar looking by using something like a Genshin Impact shader which uses far more conventional authoring techniques.

Royal skies on YouTube has documented this way of shading extensively.

In general people can refer to this way of shading as NPR (non photorealistic rendering). There's a ton of resources on YouTube.

Good luck, and have fun!

DungDajHjep and tmonestudio like this.
  5. CodeKiwi

CodeKiwi

I was trying out a Guilty Gear Strive shader recently. Some interesting features in strive include the new back light and multiple light sources per character. So in the image below the direction of the right arm light source is changed and the shadow threshold is offset darker on the lower right leg. These might also be animated e.g. idle to run => shadow changes from right leg to left leg. One issue with this is it’s only really effective from a fixed view e.g. wouldn’t look as good in a third person game with scene lights.

Lights.png

tmonestudio likes this.
  6. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

That makes sense, but what if all (or most) fake lights exist in camera space? Can be done at least for angles of the lights (light dummies themselves can remain parented to the limbs). I'm curious because I am experimenting with similar setups in Blender, and would like to know others' thoughts

7. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

That might not be nessessary depending on a game. Same with absurd number of bones. Guilty Gear was special because it had to accurately recreate frame data from previous 2d games in the series (mostly because of its competitive scene). New game wont have such limitations