Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

how to make a 3D map game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by talzer, Nov 10, 2018.

1. talzer

talzer

Hi all,

i'm kind of new here, not sure if here is the place to ask, but here it goes.
    we are actually planning for a small project just for fun to share with the class as part of a side project.
    we are trying to build something below:

https://demos.littleworkshop.fr/infinitown

some extra things we want to add-on:
    1. this apps is accessible with mobile phone
    2. user can move around with a simple character by enabling location setting (Android/IOS), or when the location setting is off, user can move around with touch screen
    3. movable area is just around our campus, where we will provide custom building design (using Blender) and for the user to interact with. i assume here we need some Map API like Mapbox or google map?
    4. RESTful API in the future if this is doable

the purpose of the apps is to demonstrate a location-based Unity3D game, with some fun tweaks around.

please advise what stacks we should explore in order to produce this as lightweight as possible.
    some of my team member are more to web development (Ruby, reactjs, css, React Native etc.) but we are willing to explore new set of stacks to make this game.

FYI there is no time limit to make this out, just a side fun project. if learning the stacks takes a year or more, we are ok with it as we are all eager learners. cheers.

thanks thanks.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, no, you're not quite in the right forum; this is the Game Design forum, which is more about what you should build and how to make it more fun, but not about how to build it.

The Getting Started forum would be more appropriate for this question. And hoo boy, it's a doozy. You're really biting off quite a challenging project here.

Schneider21 and Teila like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

So, as a professional GIS application developer and hobbyist game dev, I feel like it's my responsibility to throw an answer out for this one. :p

First, welcome to the forums! Joe was spot on in saying your question is a bit of a doozy; the project you're describing is no small order.

It's not super clear from your description how the game plays, but my assumption is you're thinking something like Pokemon Go as far as movement on a map goes. Mapbox does have a 3D features API, (and specifically, a plugin for Unity that you'd want to use) as well as the ability to swap features out with custom objects. This is probably the easiest route to go, and the cheapest way to get started.

You'll want your team to familiarize themselves with C#, as that's the primary language for Unity apps. If they've been using React in a professional setting, using linters to enforce good practices and such, it should be a relatively painless transition.

Sounds like a fun project, but definitely a challenge. If you get bored or frustrated and decide it's easier to just spend some money to have someone else do it for you, let me know. ;)

JoeStrout likes this.