Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

How To Lock Layers By Editor Script?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by fighder, Jul 1, 2016.

1. fighder

fighder

Is there some way I can access the Layers and lock them by name or index? I can't seem to find an answer on google, so I was wondering if this is even possible.

2. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

Ahhh... its not like Photoshop.

I wouldnt think of it like that. Think of Layers as more of a Masking flag, for Camera use mainly.

So any GameObject can belong to just a single Category (Layer), but the Camera can show multiple Categories (Layer Mask can include many) for GameObjects belonging/assigned to those Categories.

What are you trying to do? :p

3. eses

eses

4. TrickyHandz

TrickyHandz

If you want to have a bit more flexibility than the built in layers, I highly recommend ProGroups. It adds great flexibility to the editor and makes locking objects, hiding objects and selecting entire groups a breeze.

5. fighder

fighder

I came across that answer, but it didn't seem to make sense to me. I couldn't find Tools.lockedLayers in the api page, and Tools.visibleLayers seem return an int? I am not exactly sure how to use Tools.visibleLayers to lock the layer.

I am not concern with masking nor fiddling with hidding objects in the camera through flags. I am just extending the Unity editor for a level editor and I need to lock game objects of a certain layers to make sure they don't get selected when I select a group of objects from a different layer.

6. fighder

fighder

I got it working. Turns out Unity just didn't list Tools.lockedLayers. I was able to toggle it with Tools.lockedLayers ^= 1<<LayerMask.NameToLayer();

Lars-Steenhoff and IzzySoft like this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

What does this do?

Can I now make an editor menu that has the layer so I can toggle them?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. FinnTess

FinnTess

OMG YOU THE ONLY ONE WHO FIND IT XD THX !!!

unityunity