Search Unity

Question How to keep Relay connection alive using NGO?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by vtooooo, Dec 1, 2021.

1. vtooooo

vtooooo

Hi, I'm trying to keep the connection to the Relay server alive using Netcode for GameObjects (NGO). Documentation mentions ( https://docs.unity.com/relay/client-timeouts.htm ) that clients can ping the relay server to prevent time-out.

Can someone give me a practical example of how to do this?

The documentation also mentions how to do this using Relay with UTP ( https://docs.unity.com/relay/relay-and-utp.htm ) but I am not familiar with this library. I am working with NGO.

Thank you so much.

2. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

If you are using Relay with NGO, then I'm assuming you are using "Unity Transport", which is using UTP under the hood. If the transport is updated frequently enough, it should normally ping the Relay server on its own. Are you observing disconnections from the Relay server?

3. vtooooo

vtooooo

Hi simon, thanks for the reply.

I'm not seeing disconnections, but if a client tries to call JoinAllocationAsync(joinCode) 10 seconds later than the Host's call to CreateAllocationAsync() I get the error HttpException`1: HTTP / 1.1 404 Not Found.

Fail.PNG

I want to highlight 2 things:

1) If the client tries to connect in less than 10 seconds, everything works normally.
    2) In my server-side implementation I am running the processes in this order:

Setup Relay (CreateAllocationAsync -> GetJoinCodeAsync -> transport.SetRelayServerData)

and then

NetworkManager.Singleton.StartHost ();

Based on your answer, how should I update the transport if only the Host is present on the network session?

Again, thanks!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  4. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

UnityTransport
    is a
    MonoBehaviour
    , so it should update itself on its own.

It's pretty weird, I can't reproduce your issue with Boss Room. Maybe you could have a look at their code to see how they're doing things? The relevant code should be under
    Assets/BossRoom/Scripts/Shared/Net/

5. vtooooo

vtooooo

Hi Simon,

I just did the same test with Boss Room. Something similar happens to me although the error message is different.

To reproduce the issue try to follow these steps:

1) Run a sample of Boss Room (from now HOST) and press START.
    2) Select Unity Relay and press CONFIRM.
    3) Wait for 10 seconds or more.
    4) Run another sample of Boss Room (from now CLIENT) and press JOIN.
    5) Select Unity Relay.
    6) Enter the Join Code you see on the HOST UI and press JOIN.

Doing this I'm getting the "Not Found: join code not found" error message. This happens running the CLIENT on the Editor or in a Standalone Build (Windows10).

If you follow the same steps but the elapsed time between step 2 and step 4 is less than 10 seconds the issue is gone.

Is this happening only to me? I'm running Unity 2020.3.21f1

Thanks!

Fail 2.PNG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  6. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

What version of Boss Room are you testing with? I just retested by following your instructions using tag 1.0.1-pre on Git and I can't reproduce it (using Unity 2020.3.23f1). This is really weird...

Maybe make sure that
    UnityTransport.Update
    is running regularly on the host? It normally should be running every frame so you should quickly find it in the profiler.

7. vtooooo

vtooooo

I'm using Boss Room 1.0.1-pre downloaded from the link you gave me. I will try on my other pc with Unity 2020.3.23f1 and check UnityTransport.Update in the profiler.

Thanks!

8. vtooooo

vtooooo

Update: Now is working well. Both Boss Room and my test project. I didn't change anything but it's working.

Thanks Simon!

simon-lemay-unity likes this.
  9. Wawro01

Wawro01

Hi @simon-lemay-unity

I am having same problems with Relay service as described in this thread when using
    com.unity.netcode.adapter.utp@1.0.0-pre.6
    com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.6
    com.unity.services.relay": "1.0.1-pre.6"

First I've had this error in my project, so I decided to try Boss room, where everything was OK. After updating packages to mentioned ones it looks like there is only 10 sec window when clients can join host. Moreover I am getting this error on host:

Received error message from Relay: player timed out due to inactivity. This could be due to an inappropriate value for reconnectionTimeMS when calling NetworkSettings.WithRelayParameters. Also make sure to schedule NetworkDriver updates frequently to avoid this error.

I am trying 1.0.2-pre version of Boss room. Btw trying to adjust reconnectionTimeMS to something higher than hardcoded 9000ms didn't have any effect.

10. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

We've seen reports recently of the same issue. It seems like the heartbeats to the relay server kick in later than we expect them to, which means that we get timed out after 10 seconds.

We've patched that in com.unity.transport@1.0.0-pre.15 by sending heartbeats more quickly. Could you try installing that (or some later version)?

Also, how did you adjust the reconnection timeout? That setting is not exposed through the adapter. Did you modify a local copy of the code? In any case, it should be adjusted to be lower than 9000ms to solve the issue (it's the frequency at which we send heartbeats to the relay server, so lower means more frequent heartbeats).

11. Wawro01

Wawro01

Thanks,

updating to com.unity.transport@1.0.0-pre.15 fixes the issue.

Yes I changed it in local copy. I was bit mislead by naming of the variable.

12. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Glad to read that updating to 1.0.0-pre.15 fixed the issue!

And yeah the naming is a bit unfortunate. I'll make a note of improving the documentation on that parameter to avoid confusion in the future. Thanks for your feedback!

13. peidencoding

peidencoding

Hey @simon-lemay-unity
    i am facing a timeout from the relay server because the game scene needs like 15 seconds to load. This only happens in singleplayer because the other players keep sending pings to the server in multiplayer. Is there any way to increase the timeout limit or to send a ping during the scene change? Or something i have not thought about yet?