Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How to integrate Google Play Instant App API?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by JonasMumm, Apr 6, 2020.

1. JonasMumm

JonasMumm

Hello,
    I'm currently in the process of developing a preview version of my company's full game using Project Tiny. The goal is to offer the preview version as a "Try Now" instant app that can be launched from out main product's Google Play Store Page ans display an "Install Now" prompt within it to let users make the switch to the full version.
    Now I'm looking for a way to integrate the Google Play Instant API, but haven't had much luck searching around myself. My first try involved using the Google Play Instant Package available from the Package Manager, but that one depends on UnityEngine assemblies, so it's apparently not usable in connection with Project Tiny.
    Is there any working solution for integrating the Instant App API, or if not, how would I go about integrating it myself?
    Thanks! :)

2. JonasMumm

JonasMumm

If there is currently no way to get the native Instant App functionality working, is there at least a way to open an URL from within Tiny on Android?
    Calling
    window.open(URL)
    from javascript only works on web-platforms as far as I can tell, and neither
    Application.OpenURL(URL)
    nor
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(URL)
    are options, as they require assemblies not included in the Tiny Dots Runtime.

3. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    We are working on the native plugins functionality for iOS and Android, which will enable to call from Project Tiny/DOTS Runtime any external native library/SDK. I can't promise a timeline yet but we are working on this at the moment, we know it's a critical feature for many scenario where you need to call in external API/SDK. Stay tuned.

Once this feature is available you'll be able to integrate with Google Play Instant API.
    You mentioned the Google Play Instant Package (made by Google) for Unity "classic" and you are correct: it won't work with Project Tiny. We do not have a timeline yet for when this tool is adapted for Project Tiny, so it might be better to look at the source of this project https://github.com/google/play-instant-unity-plugin if you want to start the integration yourself.
    Finally, you're correct as well for
    Application.OpenURL(URL)
    , it is not available in Project Tiny, we're looking into it.

Thanks for your questions & feedback!
    JC

4. JonasMumm

JonasMumm

Thank you for your elaborate answer, I'll look into it on my own

5. DevinW

DevinW

Looking forward to support with Unity Tiny :)

Thygrrr likes this.
  6. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Don't get your hopes up, since January 2021, we didn't get much more than a DOTS Patent.