Search Unity

How to install Unity on Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ManaPotionStudios, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ManaPotionStudios

ManaPotionStudios

Hello! I've searched the web and this forum but somehow nothing works for me. I just freshly installed ubuntu 18.10 and trying to install latest unity: https://beta.unity3d.com/download/dad990bf2728/public_download.html

I got file that does nothing when I click on it even with exacutable flag. Unity hub seem not wokring for me at all. How do I install unity? Linux is so frustrating for me as I am windows user.

2. JooleanLogic

JooleanLogic

I had the exact same problem initially as I also know very little about linux. Unfortunately I can't remember how I solved it but I think I tried running it from the terminal instead.
    $./UnitySetup-2018.2.7f1
    Try that and you might at least get some feedback from the terminal on what's wrong.

3. ManaPotionStudios

ManaPotionStudios

Okay, so I solved it. And I installed Ubuntu 16.04 and then I wodnloaded Unity hub. Next step, in UnityHubSetup.AppImage file Permissions tab check Execute checkbox and then run that file. It will allow to install latest unity.

Linux is not about how do do stuff in simple way

CrandellWS likes this.
  4. lovemoebius

lovemoebius

I'm running Ubuntu 18.10 and the AppImage file works for me.

I'd have suggested to cd into the folder with the file and running './Unity Hub' (including the quotes), but I'm glad to hear you fixed it.