Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to install Unity on a separate partition/LV?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PosthumanMegaBrutal, Apr 25, 2021.

1. PosthumanMegaBrutal

PosthumanMegaBrutal

Unity Hub 2.4.3 tells me that I can't install Unity, because 9.8 GB disk space would be required, but only 4.2 GB is available. That's right. I had unallocated space on one of my PVs, so I created an LV of 32 GB size, formatted it as ext4 and mounted it under ~/Unity3D. In the Preferences menu I set the Unity Editors Path to ~/Unity3D as well. Yet Unity Hub keeps telling me that I can't install Unity because I only have 4.2 GB disk space on my /home. I can't increase /home, because it's a RAID1 mirrored volume, so that would need 32 GB unallocated space on both of my PVs, but I only had the necessary amount of free space on one of them. What can I do now? How can I make Unity Hub understand that as long as it downloads and installs everything under ~/Unity3D, it will have enough space? Or is there a way to circumvent Unity Hub and download & install Unity Editor manually, directly to where I want it to be?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Click the Gear symbol in the upper-right corner of the Hub, and then modify the "Unity Editors Folder" location. This will change the location for new installations.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

This.

Doing that will make the Hub loose all trace of the other installed versions of Unity though and they will be marked as "missing" in the Projects tab.

Of course, you can deinstall the already installed versions of Unity, select a new installation directory as @Ryiah mentioned, and reinstall everyone into that new destination afterwards. :)

4. BenniKo

BenniKo

You don't need to reinstall. Just use the "add" button and point unity hub to the already installed unity version(s).

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe, but I'm not sure that the Hub would be able to install new modules in these versions if needed though. This is why I mentioned deinstalling and reinstalling: safer. :)

6. PosthumanMegaBrutal

PosthumanMegaBrutal

Ahh... now it works. I tried this before, but didn't work; probably because the file system got unmounted without my notice. Now I wanted to prove that it's mounted and saw how it isn't. :D I think my desktop environment / udisks is messing with it, because it wants to manage the new FS which I really don't like (e.g. I have the option on the graphical interface to unmount it, while I'd prefer if it could only be mounted/unmounted as root from command line).

I even found evidence that the unmount happened:
    (Besides this, I made another mistake by forgetting to chown the FS mount point to my user so I did not actually have write permission to it...)

So after all it was a user error & udisks annoyance, not a Unity Hub problem, sorry for bothering. However if it keeps causing annoyance and I find a solution, I may update this thread. This must be specific to Linux users, I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa with the default GNOME3 desktop.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I never had to use chown for any of my drives to be assigned to my user on Linux Mint. Why would you have to do that?

8. PosthumanMegaBrutal

PosthumanMegaBrutal

A Unix-like / POSIX standard file system's "/" directory also has ownership & permissions – when you mount the file system, the mount point inherits these permissions. When you create a new file system (e.g. format a block device with mkfs), then it will be owned by whoever called mkfs. Since typically you only access block devices as root, I invoked mkfs as root, thus the file system was owned by the root user, so when I mounted the FS, the mount point was owned by root. According to „man mkfs.ext4” it could be overriden by „-E root_owner=”, but I didn't know this option, and anyway, you can just chown the mount point (as root) AFTER mounting the file system and by that, you effectively change the FS "/" directory owner (that I forgot to do). I think it is pretty standard Unix behaviour, so BSD variants, macOS, etc. would behave the same. And of course it only applies when the file system supports Unix permissions, so FAT, NTFS, ISO file systems will behave differently (in that case, you can set the owner with uid, gid mount options that would be only in effect until you unmount or remount with different options – see „man mount”, „man mount.ntfs”).

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow, not sure I understand everything here.

When I plug my external drives, they are automatically owned by me as user, not as root. But I have administrative rights, maybe that's the reason?