Search Unity

Resolved How to install Unity Hub 3.4.1 in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Chodjo, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Chodjo

Chodjo

Hi,

As I've been struggling to make Unity Hub work in my recently installed Ubuntu 22.04, and saw that it was a common issue, I decided to share how I fixed it. Hope it works for all of you :)

1) First we add the repository

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/repos/deb stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unityhub.list'

2) Now we get the key. As apt-key is deprecated, we will use a different command from the unity tutorial.

wget -qO - https://hub.unity3d.com/linux/keys/public | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/myrepo.asc

3) Its time to update the package cache

sudo apt update

4) We need to install a dependency, libssl1.1 that we have to download and install manually

http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.1_1.1.1l-1ubuntu1.6_amd64.deb && sudo dpkg -i libssl1.1_1.1.1l-1ubuntu1.6_amd64.deb

5) We can now install a unityhub version that works. UnityHub 3.2.0 didnt work for me so I installed an older version, 3.1.0

sudo apt install unityhub=3.1.0

6) Now we can start Unity Hub and log in. After setting our license, we are ready to upgrade to latest version 3.2.0

sudo apt upgrade unityhub

It may take a while to launch. Enjoy!

aabbaab11, prince_kz and unaited like this.
  2. unaited

unaited

But windows??

3. Chodjo

Chodjo

4. single9

single9

prince_kz likes this.
  5. Chodjo

Chodjo

Hi, just came to update info. You can install flawlessly 3.4.1 right now, so you dont need to specify 3.1.0 version anymore.

Last line should be:

sudo apt install unityhub

Enjoy :)

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Even after following your instructions I'm still not having any luck launching unityhub.
    I did the 3.1.0 version too.

I run "unityhub" from a terminal and see this:
    ```
    $ unityhub

Checking for update
    Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/opt/unityhub/resources/app-update.yml'
    (electron) Security Warning: A WebContents was just created with both webviewTag and contextIsolation enabled. This combination is fundamentally less secure and effectively bypasses the protections of contextIsolation. We strongly recommend you move away from webviews to OOPIF or BrowserView in order for your app to be more secure
    ```

a window opens with a blue "sign in" button. When I click that, another window opens and a browser tab opens. But the other window disappears with no warning or error. The browser tab is blank.

I thought maybe something about my account (the URL mentions a challenge) but no email and I can log into unity3d.com normally in a browser no problem.

7. hughperkins

hughperkins

Works ok for me. FWIW I dont have that app-update file either:

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 09.08.18.png

I have firefox installed, and firefox opens, with a logon page. I login, and then unityhub works for me.

8. hughperkins

hughperkins

Though ultimately I seem to have just gone with a Windows VM, instead of the Linux VM I was trying to setup. I got Unity working in an Amazon ECS g4dn instance, but my shader ran 3 times *slower* than on my Macbook Air. I tried a Windows g4ad instance, which uses an AMD gpu instead of an nvidia gpu, and on that my shader ran twice as fast as my Mac. Since the nvidia gpu is likely the better gpu, I concluded that the linux Unity doesn't really have the TLC that it needs to work well.

9. pain_naman

pain_naman

10. hunabku94

hunabku94

11. Sappytheleaf

Sappytheleaf

why is mine taking so long to load :( :skull: