Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Install Unity and MonoDevelop on Ubuntu 16.04 - Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zagaz, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Zagaz

Zagaz

OK folks!

I'm new in Linux and I had some issues to install Unity on Ubuntu.

I spent some 2 weeks fighting against my Ubuntu16.04 to make Unity work with MonoDevelp nice and easy. As far as I have in my mind that if I know something, I have to teach others, so here I’m to try save the day.

Lets go step by step.

ALERT: DO NOT TRY ANYTHING BESIDES THE STEPS I AM SHOWING HERE!!!!

1) Install Unity on Ubuntu 16.04.

Go to this link, scroldown all they way to the botton. Check the last post. You will see the link to download the .deb. So, go ahead and do it. (Forget the terminal, I had lots of issues when I tryied to install via Terminal).

After download, go to the directory where you installed the .deb and double-click it.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-on-linux-release-notes-and-known-issues.350256/

Once in the website, scroll allll the waaaaayyy doowwn to the bottom to the last post. You will see the download link. For experience don't download via torrent, use the direct link.

Once you download the .deb. You will see the install window. Just click in install.

When it’s finished, you can check on the launcher the Unity properly installed.

Yes, it is that simple.

2) Install MonoDevelop.

Forget the lamme built-in MonoDevelop. You have to install MonoDevelop outside Unity.

You can install it in 2 different ways (Both work fine):

a) From Ubuntu Software Store (Easiest way).

Go to the Ubuntu Software Store ans browse the MonoDevelp from there and install it. Yep, that's it.

b) From MonoDevelop website (Hard way)

Now, do it exactly as it says:

Copy these codes in the Terminal (The whole thing in this order):

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

Than this other code (the whole thing):

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list

Than:

sudo apt-get update

Than:

sudo apt-get install mono-devel

Perfect, now you have MonoDevelop installed in you Ubuntu 16.04

3) last step : Assign the external MonoDevelop on Unity:

Open unity, Go to edit, Preferences, External tools & External script editor. Click browse then go to this path [ /opt/Unity/MonoDevelop/bin & choose MonoDevelop.exe.

And that’s it!

Mazal Tov
    ! You have Unity and MonoDevelopment working 99,9% on your Ubuntu.

Why 99,9%? Because there are some bugs on MonoDevelop and I suggest you to check this links to learn how to fix it!

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/perfect-install-fixing-most-of-your-issues-ubuntu.426065/

Did it work for you? Please leave a comment! ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Deleted User and Satscape like this.
  2. Satscape

Satscape

Just a note from my experience, you can use the "lame" monoDevelop that comes with Unity, in fact it's best to if you want to do step-by-step debugging with the Unity Editor. But you do have to install the non-Unity version too. It must have something it needs I guess.
    Also, I sudo apt install'ed these packages:
    mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 and mono-reference-assemblies-3.5 otherwise I got syntax errors for things like System.Random
    I did try on other linux distros, but there was always lots of problems, Ubuntu is definitely the way to go with the least amount of issues! :)

Wulfara likes this.
  3. vostoksys

vostoksys

Hi,
    I will post my experience with configuring unity + monodevelop in your thread if you don't mind.

Running linux + cinnamon 2.8.8 64bit on mint 17.3
    Unity 5.5.0, 20161125, deb install (dep to add libstdc++32, realpath)

Mono develop from Unity 5.5.0 opens but for and unknown reason refuse to "see" any unity documentation, same with the solution. Scripts compil but it's not usable.
    I installed Mono from repository, this one don't start at all.
    I had previously installed unity 5.1.0f3 from tar.gz, From edit > preference >external tool I'm pointing to this one, and now it open the solution + documentation. Just one thing, you must open the script directly from monoDevelop because unity will open a new ide each time.

4. Zagaz

Zagaz

[QUOTE="Satscape, post: 3174807, member: 372381", I sudo apt install'ed these packages:
    mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 and mono-reference-assemblies-3.5 otherwise I got syntax errors for things like System.Random[/QUOTE]

Could you post here the sudos you use for: mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 and mono-reference-assemblies-3.5?

Thanks in advance.

5. Zagaz

Zagaz

All info regarding Linux is important. Thanks for sharing.

6. erikcht

erikcht

I cannot proceed...
    There is no libpng12-0

erik@erik-Inspiron-5548:~/Downloads$ sudo gdebi unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015082501_amd64.deb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Este pacote não pode ser desinstalado
    Dependency is not satisfiable: libpng12-0

erik@erik-Inspiron-5548:~/Downloads$

7. Satscape

Satscape

Could you post here the sudos you use for: mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 and mono-reference-assemblies-3.5?

Thanks in advance.
    [/QUOTE]

I sudo apt install exactly those package names I mentioned, they are in the repos for Ubuntu:

mono-reference-assemblies-2.0/zesty,zesty,now 3.12.1+dfsg-2 all [installed]
    Mono runtime - compiler compatibility for .NET 2.0

mono-reference-assemblies-3.5/zesty,zesty,now 3.12.1+dfsg-2 all [installed]
    Mono runtime - compiler compatibility for .NET 3.5

8. erikcht

erikcht

Hi, my problem were two.
    I was trying to install under Ubuntu 17.04 and using the packages of unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015082501_amd64.deb (so i discover it was a outdated package)
    And i try with the new package unity-editor_amd64-2017.1.1xf1Linux.deb , the unity appear to install, but the software don't open.

So i installed a outdated version of ubuntu , the 16.04 LTS.
    With the unity-editor-5.1.0f3+2015082501_amd64.deb + ubuntu 16.04 LTS the program installed and open, but at the first time i create a project show a system erro and crash the software, after i open the project was there, but when i run it a the play don't run, and a lot of erro message appear

The script don't run, nothing run

I used "20170809" package

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  9. erikcht

erikcht

I used those steps http://www.mono-project.com/download/#download-lin :
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu xenial main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mono-devel
    sudo apt-get install mono-complete
    sudo apt-get install mono-dbg
    sudo apt-get install referenceassemblies-pcl
    sudo apt-get install ca-certificates-mono
    sudo apt-get install mono-xsp4

After that i fallowing those steps this https://www.microsoft.com/net/core#linuxubuntu
    curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg
    sudo mv microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/microsoft.gpg

"17.04"
    sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/microsoft-ubuntu-zesty-prod zesty main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dotnetdev.list'

sudo apt-get update
    " sudo apt-get install dotnet-sdk-2.0.0 " (at this the problem show)

{
    }

10. Jean-17

Jean-17

11. Zagaz

Zagaz

I believe things got better after new releases!!

12. pavankumar123

pavankumar123

when I am try to sign in it showing service not available

Attached Files:

13. Fab4

Fab4

This is the way to go.
    I had several issues regarding unity on Linux, but this way always worked on all machines I used.
    Install mono from their page (all mentioned packs mono-complete is not enough)
    Install mono editor from Ubuntu store
    Install dotnet sdk from Ms page
    Install vs code
    Install unity
    Add vs code add on to project everything works

P. S. : I only tried Unity versions up to 2017.2 that have a .deb
    Also vs code is optional I personal prefer it. In Vs code you need to ad the c# debugger and unity debuggee

14. knobby67

knobby67

On my new laptop I just installed unity 2018. Mono-delve and visual studio code. Everything ran great. Well except webgl and android won’t build but this is apparently a real bug

15. Fanshuomeng

Fanshuomeng

On my Lenovo laptop,I installed Unity 3d Linux,but why it don't start?
    P.S. My English is bad

16. Fanshuomeng

Fanshuomeng

17. knobby67

knobby67

Have you check to see if you have all the dependencies installed? There's a list of them in the download thread.

18. huno92

huno92

For me it always creates a new instance when I try to open a cs script from the editor and doesn't navigate to show the file

19. Kiellinie

Kiellinie

Unity-2018-2.0b7 was no problem to install on Ubuntu 18.04. Then I installed Monodevelop like upper recommendation.
    Now I can start monodevelop from /usr/bin/monodevelop! Unfortunately there are some assembly failures. Therefore I install the two "mono-reference-assemblies"-files. One times monodevelop starts without failure, but now the link /usr/bin/monodevelop is disappeared !! Where is now the "launcher" ? Please, can someone help me to start monodevelop. Thanks and greetings from Kiel/Germany

20. Satscape

Satscape

I made some notes from the last time I installed MonoDevelop:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo apt install monodevelop mono-complete mono-reference-assemblies-2.0 mono-reference-assemblies-3.5 mono-complete mono-devel gnome-sharp2 gtk-sharp2 npm libgconf2-4
    Installing all those packages (using Terminal), monodevelop is installed as /usr/bin/monodevelop
    I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 - hope that helps.

21. trakloz

trakloz

22. Satscape

Satscape

Hmmm, I don't have flatpak installed, so
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo apt install flatpak
    then create the script mentioned above and I get:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. error: app/com.xamarin.MonoDevelop/x86_64/master not installed
    I have Unity 2018.1.3.f1 installed currently. So if we're supposed to be using flatpak now, where are the instructions to do so? I used the link found on this forum post. (official installer)

23. Satscape

Satscape

Thought I'd post this, it may help out others.... Forget MonoDevelop. Have a read of this blog about how to use VScode + Unity, it works! Everything works! Intelisense, step-by-step debugging, code completion, syntax, git integration. Really nice to use.

knobby67 likes this.
  24. etzl

etzl

can i use unity namespace in this VS code without installing unity? if not is there any way to do something like this. writing codes for unity engine without install unity itself? thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  25. rg451917

rg451917

Installing unity in Ubuntu is not that tough as you are thinking I can sort out your issue as I have contacted lenovo
    laptop not booting
    for help while I have to install Linux in my Lenovo laptop. They provide an interface of chatting through that I sort out this issue.

26. etzl

etzl

Actually, I don't have problem with installing it i thought the released version for linux is very out date but now i see the second page that include unity 2019, Thanks in advance :))

27. Satscape

Satscape

etzl likes this.
  28. thobin

thobin

Any one get auto complete Unity to work with MonoDev?