Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to install and connect?

Discussion in 'Cache Server' started by Vad3rInHale, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

Hi all,

We are trying to install the newest version of the Cache Manager, but we are a remote team.
    We have the repository zip file from the Git Repo, but we are having issues getting the Unity Editor to connect successfully to the NodeJS server.

We install the node package and have the .cache_fs folder, but when we use 'node main.js' to start the server running we don't get any connection from Unity when inputting the IP Address and Port number in the Cache Server remote field.

When we use the legacy version with the RunWin.exe file, everything connects fine. I see there are two processes per CacheServer version when we run this, but in the new one we only get one process. Is this part of the connection problem? We are looking for a manual/tutorial for the 6.0+ version of the Cache Manager since the Unity page is for the legacy version.

Thank you for your time and attention,
    Alex

2. Reichert

Reichert

Unity Technologies

Can you please start the service with this command line: "node main.js --log-level 5" and show me the output?

3. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

4. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

Hi Reichert,

This is the output of that command

5. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

upload_2018-10-12_14-49-27.png
    I am running it inside the folder that the npm installed. I noticed in the earlier versions of the Cache Server there were .exe files that would run and start the server, are these supposed to be in the newer version as well?

I appreciate your help with this.

6. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

I would like to let you know I am not knowledgeable on node js nor setting up servers, so that is why I am having troubles.

7. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

So there is no unity-cache-server command anymore to launch the server? At least the docs still say so.

In any case it looks like the server is up and running so I would investigate whether the two computers can access each other. There may be a firewall or proxy (or antivirus suite) blocking the connection.

8. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

Hey Steffen,

No, there is no command explicitly stated. The unity manual is for the legacy version, which had an .exe file, but the 6.0 version does not. I had to look up the command on how to start a NodeJS server with "node main.js"

This was not in the read me on the cache servers within page from what I saw.

They connect very well with the legacy version of the cache server, and I opened the port on the firewalls to make sure they could talk to each other. It is only the newer version of the cache server that when booted up is not able to connect to each other through the Editor...

9. Vad3rInHale

Vad3rInHale

Looking again at your comment, I was able to launch the server with the 'unity-cache-server' command, this does the same function as 'node main.js' command, I believe. Either way, when I launch the server, Unity Editor does not connect successfully to the ip address and port of the server.