Search Unity

How to install a specific version of Unity on Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Wolfos, May 5, 2020.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos

The Hub refuses to install anything but the latest version, betas or LTS versions. The download archive doesn't contain Linux links. Because Unity Hub is a portable app it doesn't register the unityhub:// thing, so that doesn't work either.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    phrobion likes this.
  2. ajv3tr

ajv3tr

Hello! Open your terminal and paste, for example,
    $DIR/UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2018.3.0f2/6e9a27477296 and wait ($DIR - directory to unityhub image)
    It's open this file to dowload in unityhub.
    but, it's might working not well

3. rogper

rogper

Thanks @ajv3tr Worked just fine for me!

4. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

unity_07assas, bostonvaulter and ktii like this.
  5. Wolfos

Wolfos

6. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Weird. It's working on my end.

7. Startec

Startec

They do not work for me either. @KevinWelton try going to that page and clicking the "hub link" for:
    Unity 2019.3.11

It does not work and I don't think it ever has. If Unity supports Linux, there should be download links for Linux as there are for other supported systems.

8. Wolfos

Wolfos

For now you can workaround by downloading the following JSON file: https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/releases-linux.json

This contains the download links for the Linux editors.

phrobion and Karsten like this.
  9. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I managed to do this the other day, downloading an earlier 2020. Perhaps uninstall existing hub/hubs and install latest

10. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

I definitely believe that it isn't working on your end. I just can't repro it on my end with Hub version 2.3.2 and downloading the versions mentioned in this thread via the "Hub" link at the download archive in 18.04, 20.04 or CentOS 7. Is the hub running when you click the link? Does the hub open at all? I think the simplest thing to try would be the suggestion above of re-installing the hub.

Which, BTW, you no longer have to visit the forum post to get. You can finally get it by the regular hub download page via the Unity web page :)

11. rogper

rogper

I had try re-installing the hub several times... it just never opens the download. Before, on older unity hub versions and Linux mint 19 it opened just fine... it took a few seconds from pressing the "Open in Hub" button, but it opened. Now on Linuxt mint 20 (Ubuntu 20.4) no longer opens.

12. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

PolyVerif and der-joel like this.
  13. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

Also not working on my Linux mint install v20, clicking buttons does nothing at all except throw 404 errors in the browser debugger, does not work on chrome or firefox, though I note from KevinWelton's link its is marked a 'wont fix', so how about a work around how we can actually download a particular version??

14. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

Is there a URL/link where we can download versions since its a known bug in the unity hub?
    Is there a way to download a earlier version of unity hub which works?
    Or is the answer to just not develop any software until unity gets around to fixing the issue???

15. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

Ok, for anyone with this issue, a work around.
    Go to the download archive page right click the green button, inspect element, look at the href for example:
    <a href="unityhub://2019.4.18f1/3310a4d4f880" class="btn bg-gr left fw500 unityhub"><div class="ico-download inbl icon pr10"></div>Unity Hub</a>

Open terminal, go to locaion of your UnityHub.AppImage and type the bit from the href for example:
    ./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2019.4.18f1/3310a4d4f880

This will open that image in the unity hub.

Arber2 and Omelette_au_Goulage like this.
  16. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@alphabeta314, try the steps on this stickied thread for a workaround to the integration issue. It will allow you to click Hub links in the download archive and have them open correctly in the Hub.

I think a better description of the bug resolution is "Postponed" more than "Won't Fix". I've chatted with the Hub team and they *do* want to fix it.

sfjohansson and Wolfos like this.
  17. chibiskuld

chibiskuld

So the hub links are mostly not working, because unity-hub is not correctly installed. Or at least it's not registering itself to handle the URI with xdg.

In my case, I'm using:
    - Ubuntu 20.04lts
    - XFCE Desktop Environment
    - Chrome Official
    The problem is chrome wants to start it with 'xdg-open', and there is not an entry for unity-hub with xdg. So it doesn't know how to open it's type. I'm yet to have taken the time to figure out how to configure this manually. But I imagine that someone could find a way.

It gives the error:
    upload_2021-4-9_14-39-5.png

It might make sense to have unity hub check / register itself upon a first start. Or if not, having the links available would be nice. But you can obtain this pretty easily by right clicking the button and saying, "Copy link". And then you can pass that to unityhub via the command line (As demonstrated above).

However
    I have another issue entirely, and that's I cannot download this for an internal network/administration install. I need some way of getting a download of unity to install it for local machines. Which linux is currently missing from that list.

Update
    I have found a work around to my problem, which gives a way to download it.

Using: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    I found my version and copied the link I needed:
    unityhub://2018.4.20f1/008688490035

(Don't do) When I tried to install with:
    ./unityhub unityhub://2018.4.20f1/008688490035
    It of course does not want to reinstall and it quits.

But if I use:
    ./unityhub --headless install -version 2018.4.20f1 --changeset 008688490035
    It will download+install.

With that, I noticed it creates a folder in /tmp:
    /tmp/unityhub-XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX
    which inside contains:
    Unity.tar.gz

Which is exactly the file I need.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  18. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

19. Karsten

Karsten

I find it a bit strange that there are no linux links , installing software via command line is so common on linux...
    One of the things that make people shake their head thinking "Unity yududis?!"

phrobion likes this.
  20. fauzannr

fauzannr

Thank you so much, this work on ubuntu mate 20.04

21. Luthis

Luthis

I don't know why it works, but

./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://[version from archive page]

works for me too. This is so wierd because clicking on the green Unity Hub download button moves my cursor over to and selects the hub window, so it's still opening the link with unity hub. Just nothing happens after that.
    But running from a terminal as above works just fine. Thanks for the workaround!

22. gabe_marcos

gabe_marcos

I have found an easy way to do that.
    I've just switched my unity hub to the beta channel (3.0.0-beta.5) and then picked the unity editor version I needed on the Download Archive (https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive), so the browser opened the hub, and after a short time (around 30 sec.) the hub showed the version download menu.
    That procedure only worked on the beta channel.

Lab_one_Lab likes this.
  23. omony

omony

Just want to leave it here since I switch back here often. Mind the "./" before the command. So this is valid

./UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2020.1.15f1/97d0ae02d19d

This is not

UnityHub.AppImage unityhub://2020.1.15f1/97d0ae02d19d

24. unity_07assas

unity_07assas

25. Brandonculbreath20

Brandonculbreath20

i need help trying to download 2019.4.31f onto my linux and i cant find any to do that