Search Unity

Question How to Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) with new InputSystem

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ascanio1980, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Ascanio1980

Ascanio1980

Heyall!

What I am trying to do:
    • A non-gaming app that allows interaction through remote control as well as touchscreen;
    • The UI adapts for remote control (focus rectangle), for touchscreen (all interactable hot areas become evident), or no interaction (visual elements on screen are minimized);
    • As the user performs an action on the remote control, the UI responds and switches to REMOTE mode;
    • As the user approaches the screen, a proximity sensor triggers TOUCH mode;
    • As the user touches the screen, as a fallback in case the sensor didn't work, UI switches to TOUCH mode;
    • After a timeout from last interaction, the UI switches to NONE mode;

Basically what I need to do is listen to mouse / touch input, regardless of where it takes place (I don't care what is being touched, I just need that to generically trigger the switch to TOUCH mode and restart the timeout counter to switch back to NONE mode.

With the old system I could achieve this like so:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Update()
    2. {
    3.     If(Input.GetMouseButtonUp(0) || Input.touchCount > 0)
    4.     {
    5.         SetInteractionModeTouch();
    6.         StartTimeoutToModeNone();
    7.     }
    8. }
    Of course this is triggering an exception with the new InputSystem.
    I am trying to sift through the documentation, but every time I do, I get more confused.
    Do you have a clean way to do this, ideally by listening to an event directly (avoiding using the Update function)?

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

3. Ascanio1980

Ascanio1980

Hi PraetorBlue,

could you give me a hint about how to go about this (just in code, without having to set up things in the editor / project)?

Other question, will canceled do the following:
    - be invoked for any and all touch / mouse input, regardless of whether it is hitting an object that "captures it" or not?
    - not be invoked for any keyboard input (my remote control is a CAN-bus device interfaced via a USB HID device that emulates a Keyboard

Thank you!!!