Search Unity

How to improve FPS? Large LiDAR point cloud map converted into a mesh and imported as a GameObject

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by mmela, Apr 23, 2020.

1. mmela

mmela

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Unity and been working with it only for a month. My question relates to optimizing for the rendering performance:

I'm testing how to visualize LiDAR-based terrain on Unity, and have some really promising results. I've split the ground points from the canopy (with CloudCompare), and created two respective meshes, and then imported these as GameObjects in Unity. My problem is that the rendering of the canopy mesh is very slow due to a large number of vertices (9m), faces (18m) and its size (1,55GB). Even using the editor is a pain.

I haven't found a way to split this mesh into smaller chunks. I've played around by switching to baked illumination, reduced or removed shadows, but the fps stays below 1. It seems this forum has almost everything answered, but this topic is still somewhat open.

It would be great to learn how one should work with large GameObjects/meshes, or what tools to use to split them into chunks, and how to get to a frame rate way above 30.

Setup:

2019.3.9f1 on MacBook Pro (mid-2017)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020