Search Unity

How to import this grass???

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Blackwing, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Blackwing

Blackwing

Hi developers and unity artists!
    I am new to importing things into unity and I try to import grass.
    I followed this turtorial on making the grass:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-eAmIR56FE
    It looks really nice inb blender but when I imported the asset into unity it became a black plane with the humps?, but without the ''hair'' (the grass) and therefor without the color of the grass.
    Is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Blackwing

Blackwing

3. McDev02

McDev02

Yes you are! ;)

The "hair" grass is some integrated system in 3D software like Blender and nothing that you just can export to Unity. Unity generally works with meshes, textures and materials. But a hair system is something very special and not common for realtime rendering. The only way to achieve this effect is to write custom shaders like fur shader.

You may have to learn more about the differences between realtime and pre-rendering. Not anything that you can do in Blender is suitable for a game, but for movies for instance.

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Adding to EyecyArt's answer... even if you could convert your grass to a mesh and then import into Unity, the size of the mesh and number of verts / polys would be massive and not suitable for a game at all. This is why fur shaders were suggested.. it lets the GPU do the work of simulating the grass / hair.

5. Blackwing

Blackwing

Thank you for the aswers dustin and eyec.
    I have tried the fur shader but it doesn't seems to work.
    I am using unity 4.0 with dx11.
    Anyone knows how to fix this?

6. Prabhat1

Prabhat1

The same things happen with me also...I'am using unity's latest version with dx11.......
    Can anyone help me with that???