Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to import a downloaded model with all the textures

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by jma00049, Mar 25, 2019.

1. jma00049

jma00049

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Does it include a texture in a separate file? If so you can import that texture in to Unity and create a material from it.

If the material is embedded, than look at the model import settings at the materials tab:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/FBXImporter-Materials.html

According to that website,though, the model is not UV mapped (may or may not be true). Unity's shaders generally require a UV mapping in order to apply a texture to a model.

3. jma00049

jma00049

It has textures in separate files and also it has the .fbx object

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

Ok, well like I said, just drag the textures into the Unity project panel, and make a material for them. Then you can assign those materials to the object.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Materials.html

5. jma00049

jma00049

I tried this and it doesn't work. I know I am doing something wrong but I don't know what:

-Albedo texture

Bump texture:

Clouds texture:

Earth material:

Clouds material:

Materials linked to the .obj object:

Result:

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Try uncheck "import materials" and click apply. Then try assigning the "earth material" that you created manually to the object instead. Also try applying the same material to unity's built-in sphere primitive.

Edit: also that normal map in your earth material is giving you an error warning but it's easy to fix. if you want the Bump map to work as a normal map, In the import settings, all you need to do is switch the texture type from "default" to "normal map" and then click "create from grayscale" and Unity will automatically convert it to a normal map that you can use on a Standard Shader material

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  7. jma00049

jma00049

Ok, I tried to uncheck "import material and to assign the material to the object but it doesn't work. The object "earth" doesn't haveany component to assign a material and I can't just drag and drop. It's children called "default" has the material components but it has the same result as my last post.

Earth object:

"default" object inside earth one:

Then I tried to change my bump texture to normal map qith grey scale and I tried to assign the material to an sphere primitive and this is working althoung with a bad quality:

Spehere without normal map:

Sphere with normal map: