Search Unity

How to hide custom Text Tags from TextMeshPro Text?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Rukas90, May 26, 2019.

1. Rukas90

Rukas90

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to figure it out on how to hide all rich text tags from the TextMeshPro text.

If I put for example already existing tags, such as <size=25>SomeText</size> this tag is hidden, but if I place a custom tag, for example <CustomTag>SomeText</CustomTag> this tag is visible and not removed.
    I want to put these custom tags as text markers.

Is there a way to make all tags invisible? So all characters that start with < and end with >?

Thank you

2. Vaitaliy

Vaitaliy

Have you solved this issue?

3. lordofduct

lordofduct

Strip the custom tags from the string before assigning it to the TextMeshPro?

4. Brathnann

Brathnann

So I'll first start out by saying, this may not be the right way. However, it worked for me, so I stuck with it. TMP does give you access to the source code, but in order to modify it per project, you have to copy it over to the project package folder and remove the version code part of the folder name. Then you need to remove the read only so you can modify a file.

Then, you can open up TMP_Text.cs.

Within that file, you'll can search for the default tags that TMP uses (like </sup>)
    Then you can insert your own tags if you want here.

upload_2019-10-9_10-24-18.png

Here I have an h tag and a /h tag. They don't do anything in this code because I just need the tags hidden, but they are used for other purposes behind the scenes in my own code.

The hard part may be figuring out the number that goes with your tag, depending on how complex your tag is.

(and I know OP was back in May, so hopefully they found a solution, but posting this in case it can help others)

5. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Find `Default Style Sheet` ScriptableObject - the rest is intuitive. Create your own styles!

Then <style=something>yeet</style>