Search Unity

How to have move parent rigidbody without effecting child rigidbody physics?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Kaji-Atsushi, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Basically, I'm asking if it's possible to move a parent object with the rigidbody component without effecting it's child's rigidbody physics. While keeping the child's physics properties.

Take a look at this video to see what I mean...(Forgive my placeholder graphics).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/066rhgjn3uh3os3/ParentRigidbody.mov?dl=0

What's going on here is that when I move the red circle around the two boxes are supposed to move and rotate in a specific way.

In the first half of the video, it moves but with a lot of bounce and spring, because it has a child object which has the box attach to some springs. Here I'm using rigidbody.moveposition.

In the second half of the video, it moves nice and swiftly following the red circle like it's supposed to. And the box actually still has it's springy physics if another rigidbody object were to collide or bounce on it....The only downside to this is that, because I'm using transform.position instead of rigidbody.moveposition. My collisions aren't reliable, high speed objects fall through them, etc....

If anyone has any tips on how to make it work like the second half of the video without the error of objects going through it. Please let me know, Thanks!

2. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

I'm going to shamelessly bump this once.

BUMP!

Ty!