Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle unreachable nodes with AI navigation

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by unity_JgTsTPV_3Rmwkg, Nov 10, 2020.

1. unity_JgTsTPV_3Rmwkg

unity_JgTsTPV_3Rmwkg

Hello,

The issue I am having is that I have AI that moves around a procedural generated map and some areas of the map are unreachable. Imagine a scenario where the map has two islands, and the AI has a reason to go to the other island that it is currently on. The AI needs to know it cannot get there and stop trying, however, maybe a bridge is built and he can go there from that point and so it needs to be updated. As well as this, buildings, or trees, or other tile blockers could prevent a point from being reach.

So my question is: how do people usually handle situations like this? I know how I could actually, but I mean, how to do it the "right" way. It cannot be as a simple as adding to a list of tiles you cannot reach as this may not be true of all the other AI agents on the map.

The map is tile based and the size of a generated map can vary and be in the excess of 2048x2048, with each tile being a path finding node.

Any good books or sites people could recommend on this topic? I have done done some googling and I just come across generic "how to build path finding alg articles all the time"

Thanks