Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to handle light in trees?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by FrostLars, Jan 19, 2024.

1. FrostLars

FrostLars

I am having some problems with trees in Unity, getting them look very blown out by lights when the camera is facing a light source behind the treet.

I have trees created both by hand in Blender and with SpeedTree. The issue persists no matter where the tree is made. The shader also does not appear to matter either, as both the standard HDRP Lit shader has the problem and I'm also having the issue while using TVE Plant Shaders.

I've made sure my normals are not too strong in the normal maps and this does not seem to resolve the issue either. Adjusting smoothness does not resolve the issue and it is definitively not an issue with SSS.

I'd love to have some input on how to resolve the issue as I'm really at wits end on how to tackle the problem at this point. I'm not a programmer so if the issue requires knowledge of coding I might need an extra clear explanation on how to proceed.

I've attached some pictures of the issue, as well as a picture of what the trees look like when not facing the light source in the scene.

Attached Files:

soleron likes this.
  2. FrostLars

FrostLars

Bump - No one has any ideas for how to tackle this? It really makes it impossible to have an outdoor environment in Unity.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

What effects are used in the scene volume ?

Also if possible post images of the full shader and post effects settings for reference

4. impheris

impheris

tbh it looks like an sss problem, also, which version of Unity are you using?

5. soleron

soleron

Looks like crap. I agree.
    I have not seen it ever look good in Unity. Sorry.
    Chances are we have to live with that OR have someone do some special shader.

6. agriffin

agriffin

It looks like the issue may be related to the normals of the leaves meshes. A common art technique for trees is to project smoothed normals onto the leaves so that they don't look like flat cards, but it does not translate well in HDRP.

You can confirm this by changing the "Normals Mode" on the mesh import from "Import" to "Calculate". If this is indeed the issue then you may want to update the normals on the mesh itself instead of the importer.

Here is a simple example using the Lit shader. Adding translucency and occlusion to the end result will make it look better and not so flat like in my screenshot.
    tree-normals.png

Jack_Martison likes this.