Search Unity

Resolved How to handle different Unity versions

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by MileyUnity, Sep 30, 2020.

1. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

Since the project is aimed for the 2019.4 LTS version of the editor we won't have to deal with any new features being introduced in Unity, at the same time there might be some bugs that we encounter that only happen on specific versions of Unity or that may be resolved in later versions. Currently the project is set to use 2019.4.7f1 whilst 2019.4.11f1 is already available.
    • How should we handle the different minor versions of Unity?
    • When should we decide to upgrade?
    • How should we handle PRs which do change the version even though it's not part of the actual functionality they are aiming to provide?
    Having an alignment on this could help avoid any version specific issues if we do encounter some bugs

2. ProgrammerTurtle

ProgrammerTurtle

I think logical way is probably to use the latest version of LTS. Since we are going to use the LTS version there won't be feature breaking changes in the engine. We will most of the time get performance optimizations and bug fixes, nothing more. Why follow an older version of a LTS version? Doesn't make sense to me.

Also people shouldn't include their version changes with the PR. Maybe adding it to .gitignore and manually editing it + pushing it(by the project maintainer(Unity) ofc.) on each LTS update can be a solid solution.

3. ShawnFeatherly

ShawnFeatherly

• - The minor version should remain tracked in ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt.
    • - Stick with 2019.4.7 until a bug is found where the workaround is prohibitive. Having to re-install Unity every 2 or 3 weeks due to a minor version bump, just to be on latest, doesn't sound fun.
    • - If a PR wishes to change the minor version, ask them why it's prohibitive to use the minor version the project is currently on. If they have a good reason, bump the version. If they don't have a good reason, ask them to revert the ProjectVersion.txt file from their PR.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

How about the license mixing part of the EULA, how does it apply / not apply in this case?

Or are you going to accuse everyone of breaking the EULA after the project is finished?

5. SideSwipe9th

SideSwipe9th

As we're at the start of the project, it makes most sense for us to use the latest 2019.4 release. Otherwise I largely agree with ShawnFeatherly.

6. luisquid

luisquid

I agree with @ShawnFeatherly as well. Besides, if you are using any 2019.4 version you can just push your changes without pushing the unity version. At least in most cases.

7. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

From the Contributor Guidelines:

8. luisquid

luisquid

9. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

As it's said in Contributor Guidelines that community can't change Editor/package versions, maybe it can also be automated during PR submissions, i.e., when you submit pull request some CI checks not only that Contributor License Agreement is signed, but also that there are no changes to manifest.json/packages-lock.json/ProjectVersion.txt, etc.?

10. dkaloger

dkaloger

this is outdated the current version of the project is 2019.4.11f1

11. Megatank58

Megatank58

It has been mentioned here