Search Unity

How to grab object with TWO hands

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by MattyZ, Sep 14, 2020.

1. MattyZ

MattyZ

Using the Oculus Integration package in Unity (developing for the Oculus Quest), I'm trying to figure out how to grab a gun with TWO hands, where one hand grabs the barrel and the other grabs the handle. I want when I move the handle, the barrel hand stays attached, but the gun itself adjusts accordingly.

I'm a bit new to vr / unity development, and I can't find a thing that supports "two handed" grips with the Oculus Integration package. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

2. InsaneDuane

InsaneDuane

3. MattyZ

MattyZ

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little concerned about investing in the xr interaction toolkit because I don't see that it's been supported since last January. Am I missing something? Have there been any updates with it?

4. hariskapa

hariskapa

The XR Interaction toolkit has latest update 17 of November 2020

5. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hey @MattyZ, the latest preview version of our XR Interaction Toolkit released in November; you can read more about that here. It's actively being developed and supported, with plans for a verified version later this year.

6. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

Hi there.

Funny I came across this... I had some spare time this week and thought I'd put down Steam VR and pick up the Oculus Inegration pack.....

My ambition is/was to try and release work for Quest. I was hoping to achieve this by using the Oculus store.

Was I wrong in assuming that i can only use The Oculis Integration kit to get it in the oculus store.

I liked the XR toolkit and Steam VR was also easy to get used to and work with..... but man, Oculus is hard work, event though they have clearly done it and the docs are detailed.

So, should I use XR even for Quest apps?

Cheers.

7. MattyZ

MattyZ

So I haven't been able to play around with my app in a few months, but when I get back to it, I'll be using the XR toolkit, just to see if it's better / worse to work with, and better / worse to deploy.

I can say that for simple stuff, the Oculus Unity Integration pack is perfectly fine. But for anything complicated, it's not.

8. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

No probs thanks.

I had a read last night on forums here and Blogs and some other material, it seems its commong to use the Oculus Plugin alongside the XR Toolkit.

I used the XR Toolkit last year when it was released and I found it pretty strightforward to code. However, I got dragged in to using Steam for some prototyping for speed of implementation.I'll revisit XR today. Its as shame as I think Oculus have put a huge amount of work into making their Integration really deep.

Id rather use XR and the Steam VR plugins/integration, then I am at least prepared for different project requirements.

9. Cloudwalker_

Cloudwalker_

10. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

11. Cloudwalker_

Cloudwalker_

Good luck with that ;););). Unity leaves the rest to asset publishers so that they can make the 30% cut off the sales. Don't hold your breath for too long!

12. alialshahristanii

alialshahristanii

Hello, I want to allow the user to only be able to grab a cube with 2 hands, I'm using unity XR, I can't seem to find a straight forward solution,

13. VRDave_Unity

VRDave_Unity

Unity Technologies

We're aware that this 2-handed interaction is missing from the current set of examples and XR Interaction Toolkit, but we are going to be releasing 2-handed interaction samples as part of the toolkit and the related Template project this year.

14. ExoF

ExoF

Any word on when this will be available?

ukUnityVrUser likes this.