Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to give a 3D object a 2d sprite that doesn't rotate with Navmesh agent?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Th0masThe0bvious, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Th0masThe0bvious

Th0masThe0bvious

Hello.

I have been making a game that has a similar graphic style to the Paper Mario games; that is, the environments are 3d but the characters are 2D sprites, and even when they "rotate" it's actually the same angle but different animations. While it is easy to implement objects that have 2D sprites and 3D colliders, that gets more iffy when Navmesh is added, as Navmesh agents rotate as they move.

I have some ideas about how to accomplish my goal in a roundabout way, but is there a faster and more direct one?

2. RafaelGomes00

RafaelGomes00

3. gwyrwasEICC

gwyrwasEICC

Navmesh agents have two properties that can be adjusted to disable rotation, NavMeshAgent.updateRotation and NavMeshAgent.angularSpeed. These can be set to false and 0 respectively to stop your object from rotating while travelling across its path.

4. Th0masThe0bvious

Th0masThe0bvious

Thanks a bunch; that worked great!

Hey, while we're here: Is there a way to get my NavMesh's movement to influence what sprite animation plays?

5. Sluggy

Sluggy

There is no built-in feature to do that. But certainly yes it is possible to program such a feature yourself. Though it can be a bit tricky. Unity's builtin NavMesh system has very limited events that you can hook into so you usually end up infering things based on tracking the motion over time as well as writing your own wrapper layer for the whole thing.