Search Unity

Resolved How to get VFX Graph to work with single pass stereo rendering?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Ramjid, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Ramjid

Ramjid

I'm working on an XR project for Hololens2 which requires single pass stereo rendering, and somehow all my VFX only show up in one eye.
    On the forums I've found several posts talking about this issue, but according to the issue tracker it was indeed just a bug and has been fixed with VFX Graph v. 7.0.0 (Issue ID1#203623).

Still, I can't get it to work. I'm using the built-in renderer, Unity 2020.1.71f and VFX Graph v8.2.0.

Any tips what I'm doing wrong? Maybe there's some additional set-up I need to do inside of my VFX graph or perhaps some flag my shader needs?

2. Ramjid

Ramjid

Just a quick update in case anyone else ran into this:

Switching to from the old built-in renderer to the universal render pipeline solved the issue and everything is now rendering as expected.
    I was apprehensive about using URP with the Hololens2 initially, but so far things run just as smooth as before and apart from upgrading a few shaders no additional work was needed.

3. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @Ramjid,
    I'm glad you figured it out!

As some additional information, the VFX Graph is intended to be used with SRPs (we have full HDRP support, and are wrapping up URP support for Unity 2021 as there is still some missing functionality). It does not officially support the built-in renderer and though it worked for a while in it, it will sooner or later stop being compatible, so switching to HDRP or URP is advisable.