Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question How to get Touch.radiusVariance with new input system?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by lthaca, May 10, 2024.

1. lthaca

lthaca

Hi all,

I've just migrated to Unity's new input system and quickly realized that the new touch system no longer has a property for Touch.radiusVariance. I use this property to normalize input sizes for a range of iOS devices and without it I will be forced to rewrite a perfectly functional input class. It would be much simpler if I could recreate the radiusVariance property that Unity used in their old input system. Does anyone know how Unity calculated radiusVariance in the past?

2. lthaca

lthaca

After firing up a build that uses the old input system I was able to gather some data points from a few iOS devices:

iPad
    - DPI: 264
    - Diagonal Pixels: 2560
    - Aspect Ratio: 1.333333
    - Radius Variance: 5.21875

iPhone 12
    - DPI: 460
    - Diagonal Pixels: 2789
    - Aspect Ratio: 2.164103
    - Radius Variance: 6.065735

iPhone SE
    - DPI: 326
    - Diagonal Pixels: 1530
    - Aspect Ratio: 1.778667
    - Radius Variance: 6.411896

After recording a variety of touch inputs, it appears that Touch.radiusVariance = the difference between 2 sequential radii / 2.

Using the iPhone SE as an example, here are some possible Touch.radius sizes:

The difference between each sequential radius is roughly 12.82, which also happens to be the minimum Touch.radius size for this device. If we take that difference and divide it by 2 we get 6.41, or, if recorded with double precision, 6.411896, which is the radiusVariance for this device.
    i.e., radiusVariance = (38.47 - 25.65) / 2.

I feel that I am getting closer to a solution but am still unsure of how Unity determines the Touch.radiusVariance as well as the possible Touch.radius sizes for a device. For now, I will be able to set the radiusVariance by referring to a constant variable after verifying the user's device. However, I am a bit uncomfortable with this solution since there might be devices that do not fall into the categories of devices I have recorded. I would much rather be able to dynamically determine the radiusVariance of a device based on the specifications of that device.

In the meantime, I am currently exploring the radius.sqrMagnitude and radius.normalized of Unity's new input system. There seems to be very little documentation on these properties, but from what I can tell:
    - radius.sqrMagnitude = (radius.x * radius.x) + (radius.y * radius.y)
    - radius.normalized = radius / (√radius.sqrMagnitude)

If I can use these properties to determine the sequential difference of radii or the minimum Touch.radius then I should be able to gather the Touch.radiusVariance as well.

I will continue researching and if I come across anything interesting I will be sure to post it here.