Search Unity

How to get the same FOV in 3DSMax and Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RoXCoder, Mar 21, 2012.

1. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

Hi,

I have tried everything and still cannot get this so simple stuff to work correctly.
    My FOV in Unity is 60 vertical and so does my "Camera01" in 3DSMax.
    But when i export the mesh with Camera01 and import it in Unity and then positioning + rotating my camera appropriately to Camera01, i don't get the same image.

Why?
    And how can i fix that in MAX while keeping the FOV to 60 in Unity?
    I want to know so i will know how to tell my artist to configure his camera so it will match my config in Unity.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

Anybody?

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you using the same aspect ratio?

(also I'm not sure if the FOV is for the vertical axis in max, maybe there is some mismatch there).

4. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

There is no way to change the Aspect ratio in MAX.
    And in Unity i use Free Aspect, but changing between aspects gives me the SAME EXACT IMAGE except it widen, the mesh is still at the same exact position on the screen.
    And i already changed in MAX to use Vertical to match Unity and still the same thing.

5. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

This issue is really frustrating to the point im going to give up on Unity.

6. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

Bump.
    Its a basic asset import and yet nobody know?

7. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

Aspect ratio has a lot to do with it, so if Max is rendering a 4:3 and your game is a 16:10 standalone, you won't get the same image.

If that's not your problem, I'm not sure what to tell you. Can you post a comparison image of what you're talking about so that we could help you a bit more?

8. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

I went literally through all google and there is nothing about aspect ratio in 3dsmax... very weird.
    And again, im using "Free Aspect" in Unity, and even if i change the aspect ratio in Unity, i get the same image except it widen, the mesh doesn't move or change in anyway.

Image from Unity:

Image from 3DSMax:

You can see that in 3DSMax i use VERTICAL FOV not Horizontal like it's been said multiple of times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

I guess nobody know.

10. Fu11English

Fu11English

Are you just changing the aspect ratio in Unity or are you actually changing the field of view setting in the inspector for the camera. Default is 60.

Edit - Sorry misread your first post I see what you are asking. Is your camera in Unity the exact same distance from your model as it is in MAX. Sorry I don't use 3dsmax.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  11. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

Yes it is in the exact same distance since i use the Camera01 position exported with FBX, therefor it in the exact same position.
    And max is already configured as 1unit = 1 meter, so its not this issue.

12. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

I don't use Max so I don't know all that setup, but if you are using 16:9 aspect ratio for Unity and you want 60 degrees horizontal, use 36 as the FOV.

13. RoXCoder

RoXCoder

As i mentioned in my first post, i dont want to touch Unity FOV.

14. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

Well this is the Unity forums, I would suggest going to the 3DS Max forums for help with 3DS Max.

15. mattebo

mattebo

I see this is a week old so you probably figured it out by now but I thought I'd share some info. (I found this thread through a google search so forgive me bringing it back up.)

Aspect Ratio is not explictly called Aspect Ratio in Max. Its just your render resolution.
    To change your Aspect Ratio in Max you need to change the Render Settings. Go to Rendering -> Render Setup in the menu bar. Under the Common tab you'll see the area called Output Size. You can either add your aspect in manually under custom or use a predefined one from the drop down. For instance due what I'm going for I set mine to HDTV and 1280x720 (which is an Aspect of 16:9.)

16. networm045

networm045

First you must set the right aspect or output size in 3dsMax as the above. Second you should set a vertical FOV as same in Unity for 3dsMax. Because field of view is vertical in Unity.

17. TwiiK

TwiiK

Just started animating a first person weapon myself and it's not that hard to set up.

1. First set it up how you want it in Unity. Take a note of your resolution and camera fov.
    2. Find a fov calculator to convert Unity's vertical fov into horizontal fov so you can plug that into max. I just used this one (http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php)
    3. Put your camera at 0,0,0 in max and make sure that is your pivot for the exported model
    4. Open the render settings and set the same resolution in Max or at least the same aspect ratio
    5. Add your converted horizontal fov to the camera in Max (e.g 65 fov in Unity is 90 fov in max)
    6. Export the model and put it as a child of your camera in Unity making sure to zero out the local position values.

Now you'll have the exact same image in 3ds max as in Unity.

18. Tripple-Z

Tripple-Z

(This was answered above, sorry) There is indeed, a way to change aspect ratio in Max. Use render settings to set the view in the current frame. When a camera is added to the 3DS Max scene, it will frame in view with a yellow frame in the correct aspect ratio. When you align your animations, they will (almost) match your viewport if it is set in the same ratio.

19. SDJrekoff

SDJrekoff

In render setup under image aspect put 1.6 (16:10), pixel aspect should be 1, lock n load.

20. franman007

franman007

I'm having similar problems as RoxCoder and am reading off from TwiiK's post; based on my interpretation from his/her post I'm not getting the results I've expected.
    • I'll start off with the unit setup in 3Ds Max when matching with Unity's.
    upload_2017-10-28_10-22-58.png
    • Followed by my camera settings in Unity.
    upload_2017-10-28_10-30-27.png

upload_2017-10-28_10-25-51.png
    • And finally, my camera settings in 3Ds Max.
    upload_2017-10-28_10-29-13.png

What am I doing wrong and what am I missing? Also what type of camera should I use in 3Ds Max?

BTW I'm using Unity3D 2017.2 and 3Ds Max 2018.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't use max, but judging from that settings screenshot, you need to switch the fov in the parameters to use vertical FOV (I'm guessing the arrows left of the FOV is a drop down, and you can switch that to Vertical), then use the same FOV degrees in both max and Unity.

22. sivaprasadgonti

sivaprasadgonti

Hello @RoX coder: check the below link , basically the main difference is from both tools FOV setting up horizontal and vertical .

hopefully this information will halp you.

Best,
    SivaG

23. mdentonetc

mdentonetc

Thank you! I was having this issue, and my problem was that Max uses horizontal based FOV by default while Unity uses Vertical. My scenes are now matching.

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape