Search Unity

How to get the facing direction of the custom hands in the quest

Discussion in 'VR' started by jeromegold, Apr 30, 2020.

1. jeromegold

jeromegold

Hi,

How can I get the forward direction of the custom hands (or any of the bones/joints)?
    I think Vector3 fwd = rightHand.transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward); just gets the direction of the x axis, not the forward location in 3d space.

thx

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's incorrect. The expression you give above is the full 3D forward direction.

3. jeromegold

jeromegold

Ok thanks. I'm trying to get a straight line from the custom right hand coming out forward using a line renderer. It works but the line is coming out at 90 degrees (i'm pretty sure its 90 degrees).

Vector3 fwd = rightHand.transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.forward);
    lr.SetPosition(0, rightHand.transform.position);
    lr.SetPosition(1, fwd);

There's no rotation on any of the prefabs from ovrplayercontroller, ovrcamera rig, etc. all the way down. x, y, z are 0.
    The start position of ovrplayercontroller is -1.5, 1.5, 2.5 but don't think that should be an issue.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

On your line renderer, you're setting position 0 to a world position, but setting position 1 to a direction. That doesn't make any sense.

If your line renderer is using local coordinates, then position 0 should be Vector3.zero. And if it's using world coordinates, then position 1 should be a world coordinate, not a direction vector.

5. jeromegold

jeromegold

Awesome. Makes sense. Thx.