Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get the connection ID of the client that issued a Command

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Joe-Censored, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Does anyone know how to get the connection ID of a client that issued an HLAPI Command?

The purpose being that I want to make a request to the server via a Command, and have the server eventually respond to that request with a UNET Message to that client's connection ID. But I can't find any examples of capturing the connection ID of a client that runs a Command.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Kokowolo likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Deleted User likes this.
  4. Kokowolo

Kokowolo

Doesn't this (connectionToClient) only apply for objects that the client has authority over?

I think in the event that you want to grab the connection of the client that called the Command for an object without authority, you need to manually pass a reference of client's network id. Not certain though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unet generates an error instead of sending the Command if the client doesn't have authority over the object.

6. Kokowolo

Kokowolo

Oh... that's a shame. Good to know though! In Mirror you can ignore authority and pass the client's connection through the method declaration, but perhaps that's yesterday's news.

Nomis0042 likes this.
  7. T-Gamez

T-Gamez

I've an issue with this:

`connectionToClient.connectionId` in the CMD method is not the same as `connectionToServer.connectionId` in the method that is calling the CMD method. It seems that the connectionId for a players connection on the server is different than the connectionId on the client? How can I identify, that the connection on the client is the same connection as the one that called the server?

Thank you :)

imek2 likes this.