Search Unity

Question How to get started with indoor physics to wreak havoc?

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by Rowlan, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I combined a few assets yesterday and basically created a quick prototype (pic below). Since that was so much fun I'm thinking about extending it a bit and wreak havoc in there. The questions:

* What do I need to do to have the interiors capable of running through the physics engine? Except assigning rigidbodies and colliders?

I learned that it doesn't matter if I use Unity Physics or Havoc, i. e. what runs on the lower tier is just a different engine. However I read DOTS is required which is kind of confusing.

* What do I have to do with DOTS? Do I need to assign some scripts to the gameobjects (candles, books, etc)?

More general:

* Are there showcases which show me what I can do with the physics engines? Especially how? The examples I've seen so far are just spheres and boxes and what not, but nothing fancy from inside a game.

What I need it for:

hunt.jpg
    * flying chairs, candles, books
    * flying papers from books
    * destroyed parts of walls
    * swinging chandelier
    * basically everything that's fun to interact with

So it would be great if there'd be an example showcase to get started.

Thanks for the expertise!

2. PhilSA

PhilSA

You can almost think of DOTS as being a completely new game engine (not quite, but almost), as opposed to the regular old Monobehaviour/GameObjects Unity

In order to use DOTS physics (Havok), you need a game that was all programmed using DOTS APIs instead of the regular Unity APIs. Your physics objects need to be entities, your scripts affecting physics objects need to use ECS and the new physics APIs, etc, etc.....

Converting a monobehaviour project to use ECS-based DOTS APIs such as Havok is not something that should be considered possible. It kind of is possible, but the amount of work required is almost equivalent to rewriting your whole game in different code

Right now DOTS is in a state of heavy development so proper learning resources aren't quite here yet, and you can assume it's not yet ready for a wide public. But here's a few resources:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Rowlan and Edy like this.