Search Unity

How to Get Seamless Tiles in Game View [Solved]

Discussion in '2D' started by ColinAmosGames, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ColinAmosGames

ColinAmosGames

When I try to use the tilemap feature in Unity 2017, I can't seem to get my tiles to fit seamlessly together in the game view.

It also does this in the scene view, but the game view is the real concern. They even appear in an exported application. As you can see in this screenshot, there's faint grid-like lines in the game view that match up with the gaps that should be nonexistent between the tiles in my project.

not seamless.png

I believe I've set the tiles up to have exactly the size settings they should. The original tilesheet's pixels-per-unit is set to 128, which is the exact size of each tile in pixels. The tile grid cell size is is 1:1. I also tried decreasing the camera size to get a closer look, and the lines remained present but did not grow in size, which I believe is a sign that it's not a problem with the size or scale of the tiles.

What could be causing these seams and how can I get rid of them?

2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

Try turning off anti-aliasing in Edit > Project Settings > Quality

3. ColinAmosGames

ColinAmosGames

Thank you. I disabled anti-aliasing and now the lines are less frequent/noticeable, though they're still popping up here and there. Any other ideas?

4. ColinAmosGames

ColinAmosGames

I continued searching around and this time found the answer!

Solution:
    1. Create a new material, give it the "Sprites/Default" shader, and check the box labeled "Pixel snap". Assign this new material to the Tilemap Renderer in your scene.
    2. If it's still not looking quite right, set the game view display to a standard fixed resolution like 1280 x 720. (Following up to this step was sufficient for me.)
    3. If it's still not looking quite right, go into Edit > Project Settings > Quality and set "Anti-Aliasing" to "Disabled".

Develax, DungeonCore, suIly and 3 others like this.
  5. MysterieCatGames

MysterieCatGames

I know this is a thread resurrection and I'm sorry, but I found this after googling my issue of 'grid-lines' appearing in game view.

Turns out the problem was the master texture's Filter Mode being set to Bilinear. Setting it to Point (no filter) fixed the issue.

Hopefully anyone having any of these related issues in the future can be helped by this thread.

diliupg likes this.
  6. Felixj93

Felixj93

Sry for resurrecting an old thread but what do you mean by master texture????

7. theLameBrain

theLameBrain

He means the image you use to create the texture. So, you import a spritesheet or an image, you go to that image to change it to Sprite "(2D and UI)"? look down below for the Filter Mode and change that to Point(no filter)