Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question how to get rid of overlay?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, May 22, 2021.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

They bring nothing since all is a shortcut and they eat up space on my screen, how do I get back to normal?
    upload_2021-5-22_10-9-37.png
    upload_2021-5-22_10-8-30.png

TJHeuvel-net likes this.
  2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Right-click and select Hide

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

4. Baste

Baste

You can also press space to get the main overlay menu to show and hide all of them.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

that's actually cool and reminiscent of maya although it would work better as a modifier: hold space = show overlay

I'm sure overlay will eventually be good
    for example the 2 vertical lines used for dragging eat up space, get in the way and are easy to pull by mistake - this problem has been solved over a decade agoo (g14 keyboard) with right click > lock

Ruchir likes this.
  6. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

That's great! Much more useful than the previous fullscreen toggle. I'm hoping this menu is easy to customize!

7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks everyone for helping out when I missed this! :)

Yeah, I'm looking into how we could go without the "gripper" bar/header on the overlays, in 22.1.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  8. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

By that, do you mean these drag handles?

upload_2021-6-2_15-48-20.png

If so, I feel like a simple lock/unlock toggle in the Overlays menu could suffice. I think there should be a more obvious way to get to this menu too, like by right clicking the top Scene window toolbar, or even from the Scene tab context menu.

9. JoNax97

JoNax97

Maybe pressing the space bar (or other shortcut) could enter an "edit toolbars" mode where you can't interact with the scene or toolbars themselves but instead move them, dock them, show/hide elements, etc.

Ruchir likes this.
  10. adamgolden

adamgolden

The only issue I have with this currently is that I have tools using spacebar, in particular one that I hold the spacebar down for a feature of, and now that popup menu flickers back and forth between visible->invisible really fast while I'm holding it :rolleyes: ..I'll just change to using another key, but if someone at Unity happens to be working in a code block where input for opening this popup by spacebar is handled, maybe a conditional for "don't repeatedly flicker the menu while holding space" would be a welcome addition.

Also, it seems like the spacebar key in a custom editor doesn't always get an "up" phase now. I would guess it's because of that menu opening at the same time, but it could just be something with my own code / I can't confirm that right now.

Ruchir likes this.
  11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yeah and spacing should be controllable, currently docking sticks to the previous edge.
    why spacing? to get Unreal type floaty buttons so we can see through as currently the floaters are more like an opaque palette that should really be side docked and designed to reduce horizontal size.

12. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yup, those!
    Nice thought on the lock/unlock!

Actually, you should be able to open that menu from the right-click on Scene tab? (maybe not in current alpha)

Ah, that's a good idea as well. Thanks!

13. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! :) You can always change the shortcut via the Shortcut Manager (Edit > Shortcuts...)

Let me know if that doesn't solve your issue - might be other bugs with that key or some such :)

14. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm not totally understanding, happy to look at more examples if you want to send! :)

15. adamgolden

adamgolden

Solved! :)

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  16. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

sorry man I know sometimes my descriptions are too condensed.
    here is unreal, see the spaceing between the items? it allows to see through the scene
    upload_2021-6-4_11-55-54.png
    in other word: if overlay is over the scene and it's one large block then the effect is the same as having no overlay and instead docable so tunable spacing allows to leave enough space to see the scene through.

17. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, ok, so the desire is to remove the container background? Something like the image attached here?
    It's another thing we're looking into yes :) We didn't want to change too much in this first iteration, baby steps! :p

upload_2021-6-7_12-25-56.png

18. JoNax97

JoNax97

That looks really nice!

19. JoNax97

JoNax97

BTW, do you think a thin vertical layout would work if the dropdown button was replaced with a long-press?

20. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

like that but with controllable transparency

21. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

ProBuilder does something like this, and it's shown itself as very difficult to discover. Agreed though, ideally we'd find a good pattern that doesn't require the extra space.

JoNax97 likes this.
  22. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

(ps, that screenshot was done via the UI Toolkit Debugger, which you can also use! Window > UI Toolkit > Debugger)

laurentlavigne likes this.
  23. pokelocos

pokelocos

sorry for dirtying this forum but I have a question, how can I add my own buttons to an existing group, similar to how the collision editor does it when selecting an object
    upload_2022-10-31_15-34-55.png upload_2022-10-31_15-35-31.png
    In the first image you can see the common buttons, in the second image we can see that when selecting an object with collision, a button has been added that corresponds to the same one that appears inside the component.

24. Baste

Baste

pokelocos likes this.