Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get localized strings from other locales?

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by pryankster, Oct 28, 2020.

1. pryankster

pryankster

This is probably simple, but I'm making a language dropdown, and I want each language in the dropdown to be represented in that language, i.e.: "English", "Español", "(elided japanese characters)" (Following the documented example, it puts locale.name in the dropdown, which seems to always be English?)

My initial thought was to make a key "LANGUAGE", and then each translation would put the word/phrase for its own language. But how do I get access to a translated string from a different locale?

(pseudo code)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. for ( var i = 0; i < LocalizationSettings.AvailableLocales.Locales.Count; i ++) {
    2.     var locale = LocalizationSettings.AvailableLocales.Locales[i];
    3.     // the GetLocalizedString() call below doesn't exist ...
    4.     options.Add( new OptionData( locale.GetLocalizedString( "LANGUAGE" ) );
    5. }
    Maybe something like this, instead?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField] LocalizedString languageString;
    2. ...
    3. for ( var i = 0; i < LocalizationSettings.AvailableLocales.Locales.Count; i ++) {
    4.     var locale = LocalizationSettings.AvailableLocales.Locales[i];
    5.     // the GetLocalizedStringFromLocale() call below doesn't exist ...
    6.     options.Add( new OptionData( languageString.GetLocalizedStringFromLocale( locale ));
    7. }

-- pryankster

2. pryankster

pryankster

(Admins: I could not post my original message because I included japanese characters in the text ... when I deleted the characters, I was able to post ... seems silly for a Localization message board )

Mashimaro7 likes this.
  3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    By default, Each locale will have access to the English name and the native name through the CultureInfo.

locale.Identifier.CultureInfo.EnglishName
    locale.Identifier.CultureInfo.NativeName

If you want a name that is localized to the currently selected locale then you would need to provide these translations in a string table collection. You could then get to them like so:

Code (csharp):
    1. for (var i = 0; i < LocalizationSettings.AvailableLocales.Locales.Count; i++)
    2. {
    3.    var locale = LocalizationSettings.AvailableLocales.Locales[i];
    4.    var translatedNamed = LocalizationSettings.StringDatabase.GetLocalizedStringAsync("Language Names", locale.Identifier.CultureInfo.EnglishName);
    5.    // wait for the translated text operation to complete
    6. }
    If you want to access a value that is specfic to a locale you can actually pass in the locale into the various methods such as GetLocalizedStringAsync. This lets you get a translated value for that locale instead of using the currently selected locale.
    I think this is some of the anti-spam meseasures that the forum system uses for newer accounts. Sadly it does not recognize the context of the forum section.

4. pryankster

pryankster

Thanks for the quick response! I was coming back to post that I figured it out, only to see that you had answered the question! (I did have a bit of trouble because I hadn't set a default string table, so LocalizationSettings.StringDatabase returned an empty ref.)

-- pryankster

karl_jones likes this.
  5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Oh yes we have a bug report to improve the default table stuff.
    Glad it's working