Search Unity

How to get input text field text?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by LegendWill, Oct 4, 2014.

1. LegendWill

LegendWill

So, how do you get the text that the user puts into the input text field and then, I don't know, log it?
    Like a test debug.log(usernameText)
    Or something like that

2. Tiles

Tiles

By inputfield.value

For example, make a variable at the top where you reference your input field. Then you can access the text of it by this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var myinputfield:UI.InputField;
    4. ... do something
    6. Debug.Log (myinputfield.value);
    Interestingly this doesn't work with the initial value at start of frame. Smelling a bug here ...

3. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

I dont think its a but, if nothing have been typed in the inputfield its value is "" and only showing some default text from the text component.

4. Tiles

Tiles

Hmm. Dunno if it is that easy. There is also a starting value. Means there is already content in the Input field when this is filled, not just text in the text component.

Attached Files:

5. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

Setting the starting value should set the text value as well, but if left blank then the Text.text will be what is defaulted to. But now that i think of it that seems a little weird so i'll likely fix it so its only the starting value that is used.

6. Tiles

Tiles

Sounds like a good idea. I already wondered about that :)

7. ChoMPi

ChoMPi

Maybe you should create a placeholder feature, when the values is "" display the place holder...

8. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

yea the starting value is what is considered a place holder for a "" input string. So your starting value could be "User Name" and when the user types it then becomes their user name if at any point its empty again upon deselection it becomes "User Name" again.

9. ChoMPi

ChoMPi

I am not sure why but in b20 it does not behave anything like that... It behaves just like the value that is set at start, was that changed ?

Edit: Ops i found out what's happening, if you deselect the input field with the mouse and not with submitting it the Starting value is not applied but instead it's left empty...