Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Question how to get an singleton entity from a monobehavior?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Salmakis, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Salmakis

Salmakis

hey, i try to acess an IComponent thingy from a MonoBehavior to set some options for my entities.

it works in my system on the OnUpdate with:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. LivingControllerData lcd = SystemAPI.GetSingleton<LivingControllerData>();
    now i want to put there some settings that the system can then use.

so i wanted to acces this one entity (its LivingControlData) in a monobehavior to set stuff on key presses.

i did it with the following in the update method of the monobehavior.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. EntityManager entityManager = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    3. LivingControllerData lcd = entityManager.UniversalQuery.GetSingleton<LivingControllerData>();
    but it throws:
    InvalidOperationException: GetSingleton() requires that exactly one entity exists that matches this query, but there are 14.

but no, there are not 14 entities with a "LivingControllerData" IComponentData, there is only one (it was created in the baker).

there is only one, not 14.

what am i doing wrong here?
    is this the wrong approach in general to access that entity (its component) from a monobehavior?

im using:
    using 1.0.0-pre.15

2. Fribur

Fribur

you can create an EntityQuery, and get the Singleton (or the singleton entity) from that Query:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EntityManager _entityManager = World.DefaultGameObjectInjectionWorld.EntityManager;
    2. EntityQuery colorTablesQ = _entityManager.CreateEntityQuery(new ComponentType[] { typeof(ColorTables) });
    3. colorTablesQ.TryGetSingletonEntity<ColorTables>(out Entity colorTablesEntity)

Salmakis likes this.
  3. Salmakis

Salmakis

ty, that was then not so complicated at all.