Search Unity

How to get a Road Torque using the WheelCollider component ?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by JonathanDion_Simleader, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JonathanDion_Simleader

JonathanDion_Simleader

Hello everyone, I am creating a complete physics system for vehicles, but I have a problem with the clutch. The difference in rotational speed between the engine and the clutch is too high when rendered at a certain speed and cause my dragImpulse to be higher than the netTorque which lowers the revolution of the engine. I calculate the angular momentum of each wheel, but the more the speed of rotation increases, the more this value increases which should be the reverse because it must be subtracted by the road force or the rolling resistance. However, I can't find the formulas to calculate the roadForce. Could someone enlighten me before my brain overheats too much?

2. Edy

Edy

As far as I know, neither road power nor any equivalent concept is exposed in PhysX, so Unity can't expose anything like that either.

3. JonathanDion_Simleader

JonathanDion_Simleader

What formulas can I use? Because, I suppose that the result of the addition between the angular momentum and the roadTorque should necessarily decrease when the speed of the vehicle increases?

4. Edy

Edy

That part strictly depends on the simulation model. I don't know any generic formula, sorry.

Ideally, PhysX should calculate and give it back to us. But given how the WheelCollider behaves in certain situations, I'm not even sure that PhysX Vehicles use that concept in their internal calculations.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  5. JonathanDion_Simleader

JonathanDion_Simleader

I am simply looking for the right formulas in order to be able to calculate the necessary force that the wheels need to turn them as a function of the speed in order to be able to reduce the torque of the motor sent in order to simulate the gravity of the vehicle.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  6. JonathanDion_Simleader

JonathanDion_Simleader