Search Unity

How to get a nice editor for TableReference?

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by 5argon, Sep 24, 2021.

1. 5argon

5argon

I have a table with item names. Each item has key, so to inspect the item and display localized name I must change the key of string reference in code (StringEvent.StringReference.TableEntryReference = "...")

However I would also like to switch the "Table Collection" (StringTableCollection) in the C# code as well because they are categorized into multiple tables and you may not find a particular key in one table. This area must remains None until in the runtime.

upload_2021-9-24_6-54-36.png

I tried declaring an array of `TableReference` and I see in the code documentation that it includes editor functionality, however it does not have a drop down picker like it was in the string reference. Am I missing something to activate the editor? (e.g. so after selecting a table, it turns into GUID format)

Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField] private TableReference[] tableRefs;
    upload_2021-9-24_7-1-12.png

Attached Files:

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Are you using Odin? There seems to be an issue when using it that prevents the localized string from being drawn correctly.

3. 5argon

5argon

No, also in a fresh 2020.3.17f1 Unity project.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

oh wait they are TableReference, TableReference does not have a drawer.
    Try using LocalizedStringTable instead. This does have a drawer to select the table.

5argon likes this.
  5. 5argon

5argon

It works! Thank you!

Just in case, if I would like to ensure some tables loaded to the client before encountering the terms for real, is calling GetTableAsync() on this `LocalizedStringTable`, yield waiting on the AsyncOperation, and then ignore the result a correct approach to preload?

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yeah that's fine although you should probably call Addressables.Aquire on the returned operation so that it doesn't get released and then call release when you don't need it anymore

7. anaissalla

anaissalla

Hi! I have a custom serializable class with a "public LocalizedStringTable table". The drawer shows up correctly but I can't seem to choose any table (it does not even highlight any option and when I click on it, the drawer closes).
    upload_2023-3-14_22-19-22.png

Is this a bug?

This piece of code works
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public LocalizedStringTable table = new LocalizedStringTable { TableReference = "TestConvo" };
    but I want to be able to set it from the inspector.
    I tried setting the Table Reference with a string variable but it does not work :( What am I missing?

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What version of unity are you using?
    Do you have any plugins that may be interfering with the editor?
    Can you upgrade the package to 1.4.3? You may need to manually edit the manifest.json file in the packages folder if it's not visible.

9. anaissalla

anaissalla

I was using Unity 2022.2.2f1 & package version 1.3.2.
    I have already upgraded to 1.4.3 but the problem still persists.

I have also tried to create the same variable on a different script (monobehaviour) and it does work as intended in that one

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you update to the latest version of 2022.2?
    If that's still not working then we would need a bug report.

11. anaissalla

anaissalla

Took me a while but updating to 2022.2.10 fixed it! Thank you so much for the quick replies, I was losing my mind

karl_jones likes this.