Search Unity

How to get a Job with Unity C# without any related prior experience? (Please Read)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RashidEhzaz, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RashidEhzaz

RashidEhzaz

Hi guys, this my first time using Unity forums and as an MSc graduate who learnt Unity C# for 3-4 years during academics but also created a couple of games and apps, how do I land the first job with Unity C#? I've tried emailing many mobile gaming companies but avail no luck and only had an online interview from Kings games (creators of candy crush) on new years and the test was on C++ (which I had no knowledge of). Though I've reached out to many recruitment agencies, the problem is that I never hear from them after a couple of weeks.

Other than Unity, I enjoy 3D animation a lot, especially when using Blender, Maya, Shogun post & Live and Motion Builder. At the moment I'm producing apps in my spare time along with creating my own games with other engines such as Blender and Processing (which I haven't touched since the first year of BSc).

If anyone knows what type of job suits me, please do tell me, by the looks of it I could possibly suit for Mobile game programmer or Mobile game animator.

If anyone is interested in my projects, have a look at my site:
    https://www.azazafzal.com/

Thanks

2. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

You're doing right. Fill your portfolio with hundreds of things. The best way is to just work in different projects. Learn about anything you can do with unity and a little 3d if you can, to understand the assets pipeline. Keep working on those projects and people will be interested in no time.

TonyLi likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

@darkgaze - There's a typo in your signature. "Realtime ave simulation asset"

4. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

Fixed! I saw it before reading your message, but thanks a lot!!

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

So here may be the issue.
    You portfolio atm is quite weak. Please take 5his as constructive critique and hear me out.
    You have two vids of projects right?
    Pages a bit not so mobile friendly, so maybe I missed other if they are.

However, these two vids doesents show anything about game play. Looks like everything is scripted. And feels, like using mostly assets and few animations. Cineatics projects at best.
    Ther art fight doesn't feel like a game. Just cut scenes. Maybe some time lines in use.

These few things doesn't give away strong candidature, even for junior position.
    It doesn't give away anything in particular, what strong field you are offering. Programming, animations, graphics?

As already mentioned, keep producing and populating portfolio, with more projects.

You need also realise, you are amongst tons of students like yourself. Sure at least you have portfolio, which is good starting point. But be in mind, many even student, with real passion to game dev, start developing long before academia. They often have some examples of work, when 5hey were younger. These are good assets, as it shows, that candidate has real passion toward game dev. Not just made something at uni, to get pass marks.

So the point is, providing what you got already, how can you strengthen your portfolio, with your past projects? Showcase anything else, what you did during and before academia.
    Not just in plane text. But other gids, and screen shots.

Other than that, all best :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.