Search Unity

Question How to generate or prepare root motion for Unity

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Qriva, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Qriva

Qriva

Hello, I would really appreciate any advice regarding following problem:

There is character in game with movement driven by root motion.
    Let's consider attack animation like this: character starts to run and then jumps and slash with sword.
    To work correctly there must be valid movement of root bone, but the problem is the workflow to make it work well. Moving root makes it difficult to animate the character, but if root does not move and only children bones do this, then there will be no root motion. Adding root motion to such animation is horrible, becuase it adds second forward movement, what is invalid.

In short it is way easier (and better quality) to move character IK bones (blender in our case) without moving root bone, but this does not give us root motion, so is there any workflow or Unity animation setting to make it easy?
    See this clip on youtube, there is running guy and let's say the root is at the beginning on the right, but we want to get the same movement, but with root following the character.

Sorry if explanation is not clear enough, I am not the one who makes animations, plus I guess it's not actually possible to automatically "fix" this in Unity, but we can't deal with this problem, so I will take any hints.