Search Unity

How to generate an image with a text over it?

Discussion in '2D' started by engelcj, Oct 3, 2016.

1. engelcj

engelcj

I want to generate an image with a text that show the score over it, something like this games when you share the score:

and this:

I appreciate any idea, thanks.

2. WinCisky

WinCisky

Create an UI Canvas and add an Image and a Text

3. engelcj

engelcj

But how I can convert this to png or jpg?

4. WinCisky

WinCisky

A Canvas is a GameObject, you can't convert to jpg or png. Instead you can add an image to it in order to show it in the Scene (at the position that you want).

5. engelcj

engelcj

I know that, but I need that the image not appear in the scene, I need a way to generate an image with the text over it without showing it.

6. absolute_disgrace

absolute_disgrace

I'm failing to understand what exactly you are trying to achieve? You want to create an image, not shown to the player, that has the score and the pre-defined other picture? How often do you want to generate this image? Is it on 'fail' or every frame?

Part of the reason for asking is you may be attempting to do something to achieve a goal that can be done in a much more efficient manner.

7. engelcj

engelcj

8. absolute_disgrace

absolute_disgrace

9. engelcj

engelcj

Yes I know, but if you play the game not only take a screenshot, also have text like the name and the score and this doesn't appears in the game, in other words, take the screenshot add the text with the name and the best score over it and showing all this together when you decide to share.

10. absolute_disgrace

absolute_disgrace

You could simply create all that in the UI, display it for a single frame and take the screenshot then hide that information.

engelcj likes this.
  11. engelcj

engelcj

12. engelcj

engelcj

Researching a little bit I get the conclusion that the best way it is like @absolute_disgrace said, thanks so much.

absolute_disgrace likes this.