Search Unity

How to fix pink default Unity Character Model in Preview?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tbelgrave, Oct 10, 2020.

1. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Hiya everyone, question, does anyone here know how to fix this? I'm using HDRP and you can imagine how annoying seeing this pink dude can be! I've updated everything else but this guy I have no idea! Thx for any help

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. adamgolden

adamgolden

You need to select a shader for your material(s) that's compatible with your chosen pipeline (and which doesn't have any errors). Select your character, then in the Inspector for its renderer component, look under Materials, click one there to select it in Project, then click that in Project window to open the Material in the Inspector. Then select an appropriate shader from the dropdown, then select the textures for it again if necessary. Note that you may also need to add it to Always Included Shaders in Project Settings under Graphics for it to show up in builds.

3. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Hiya thx much! Yup I got that part down, but this is for the default Unity Model in the preview window. I have no idea where this mesh is located to fix the issue.

4. adamgolden

adamgolden

Okay - well last thing I can suggest is go to Project window, click in Search box, put:
    t:Material
    (or from the Search by Type dropdown next to it, select Material), then click each one listed until you see pink in the Preview for it - if it's pink, select compatible shader, until no more materials have pink preview :)

Edit: It's also possible there's no material selected in the renderer for this at all, in which case you will need to continue the search. I'm baffled as to how you can see something in the Preview without having it selected.. but that could just be that I don't know something [which I probably should know] - hopefully someone else can offer further advice if none of this helps.

nitrox945 and tbelgrave like this.
  5. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Hah! Good stuff, I see all the pink buggers now :) Cheers bud!

nitrox945 and adamgolden like this.
  6. altepTest

altepTest

so did you ever managed to fix this pink issue?

I searched all materials and all show up ok except this unity internal model pink guy. Setup is URP out of the box not converted by me.

7. SemicUnity

SemicUnity

Has anyone been able to solve this issue? I have it in an HDRP project that was converted a while back from the built-in renderer.

8. altepTest

altepTest

my memory is fuzzy but I think it was because the default unity shader get messed somehow. maybe you could try creating a clean HDRP project and then copy the default shader from that project to the broken one

BUT make a backup!!

9. radiatoryang

radiatoryang

This also happens in URP for me, 2021.3.16 LTS. Brand new project. No way to find the internal editor material to fix it. Kinda depressing.

naishtech likes this.