Search Unity

How to fix animation 'Gravity Weight' issue with Root Motion [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Animation' started by neill94, Nov 22, 2016.

1. neill94

neill94

Hi everyone,

I've recently found a solution to a problem I was having with root motion animations, where their gravity weight was set to 0 instead of 1 (animator.gravityWeight). This was resulted in the character floating when walking down ramps/stairs.

After some digging around, I managed to find a great solution which I found quite hard to find and isn't well documented, so I thought it would be great to share here if anyone else in the future experiences a similar issue.

As seen in the attached image below, simply go to each of your animations used and add a Curve with the name 'GravityWeight' and set the value to 1, then change the curve to a straight line as shown below.

Press apply and you should be good to go! :)

f8568c7fdae401e5763d77a8ddfa7737.png

2. John3D

John3D

Thanks for sharing.

3. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

THANK YOU!!! <3333

neill94 likes this.
  4. Un3mp

Un3mp

Thank you! I had been looking everywhere on the internet and this was the solution.

neill94 likes this.
  5. sickbattery

sickbattery

Thanks a lot ... but now I have to fix a ton of animation clips ... is there a way to fix it for all at once?

Edit: Nevermind, took me just >40min to do -.- ... ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    joeee19 and BidhanBhuwai like this.
  6. AlphaNoir

AlphaNoir

Thanks!!

7. turritom

turritom

thank you very much !!! since years i search for a solution for this "bug" thanks again :)

8. Eudaimonium

Eudaimonium

It's two years later, the end of 2018 and I have used this fix to fix my floating enemies that were driven by a NavMeshAgent and an animator root motion (no custom physics movement on my side).

The clips I were using for locomotion didn't have the additional clip options (this is normally fixed by baking Y into pose, but these didn't have that), I'm gonna have to research why do some animation clips have those and some don't.

What I'm curious about, is how did you manage to figure out that naming an animation curve with a specific string will fix this? Seriously, how did you arrive at this solution?

9. RogueMacro

RogueMacro

Still working, even its almost mid-2019. Best post I have ever come across!

10. wakawa2003

wakawa2003

love you :v

11. prince564813

prince564813

Helped me too. Cheers

12. Radagast37540

Radagast37540

Thank you soooo much, it was driving me crazy !
    (Love Unity and CharacterController, this fixed its only limitation I found)

13. tcz8

tcz8

14. Yusufhabib

Yusufhabib

thank you so much

15. Zardify

Zardify

I know this is years old... But anyone managed to figure this out? Seems like only animations imported from an FBX file have Curves options in their inspector... :(

16. tcz8

tcz8

If you are using imported animations see if setting them as "Humanoid" helps (it's under the rig tab)

If you are using animations generated within unity (they have the file extension .anim) I think you can add the curve directly in the animation (by using the "animation" window). But I never tried it personally. The reason I think it will work is I've seen some of my animations complain about the missing "GravityWeight" curve in my animation files (seen this in the animation window, there was a GravityWeight entry written in yellow like when you delete a transform that was animated but leave its animation curve behind).

Good luck :D

17. Zardify

Zardify

True, I arrived at the same conclusion myself. In the case of .anim files, it's probably the exact same thing adding them directly on the animation window as it is adding them under Curves for imported ones. Difference is though, the animation window doesn't allow adding GravityWeight at all ... :eek: Because it's a "Missing poperty" even on an imported animation, you can't even add it on a .anim file :D.

I've since gave up on this method. I have a feeling it's not the route one should take for jumping so... Thank you for the response!

18. Sanjay112000

Sanjay112000

Thank you bro

19. SketchyRodent

SketchyRodent

Having a similar occurrence that stemmed from testing out the Timeline feature on one of my sprites.
    Not too sure on the specifics of how, but the timeline somehow altered the animation controller so that any sprite using it is no longer affected by gravity. This remained an issue even after removal of the timeline component. The working fix seems to be make a new controller (the animations thankfully seem to be unaffected).

Hope this helps others out there that wound up with levitating sprites after playing around with Timeline.

20. ngerbens

ngerbens

Is there any solution for animations made within Unity, where you can't add a curve or float?

21. JARVIS843

JARVIS843

Unity 2021 LFS here. If this is not working for you, try baking the transform position Y and then do it. Baking works for me.

22. graham30

graham30

2022 and this still works! Thanks dude!

23. VladimirMacoun

VladimirMacoun

This is perfect. I think it is related with baking y pose. Thanks.

24. devagold

devagold

I try this didn't work. So in motion selection select root motion node as <root transform>. Thats works for me.

25. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

In the Animation import settings, tick the "bake into pose" for "Root Transform position(Y)", then the gravity will work on the model.

For other component settings:
    • Animator:
      • apply root motion
      • animate physics
      • update mode => fixed
    • Rigidbody
      • use gravity : true
      • is kinematic : false
      • freeze rotation: x y z
    rootmo.jpg

26. Devs007

Devs007

How can i fix when Animal with 4 legs moving with Navmesh Agent component, Issue is when its moving on ramp link in terrain bumps, its legs front legs or rare legs seems in air, because of NavMesh component, as itsin middle, but i want it to move like all legs should be on ground?