Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved How to fade out object after some time on collision

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by bitlysub2anf, Jun 13, 2020.

1. bitlysub2anf

bitlysub2anf

Help I do not know how to change the color of the player gradually on collision to any object. I wrote a script and applied it to the player but it of course does what is say, but is limited to it.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class test : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D collision)
    8.     {
    9.         GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().color = new Color(255f, 255f, 255f, 0f); //Code works
    10.         Debug.Log("Collision"); //Collision is true
    11.     }
    12. }
    So, how do I make the alpha value (0f) decrease from 255 to 0 in 1-2 seconds?
    How do I build up the code?
    Thanks in advance

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

So first off, let me just note that Color in Unity works a bit differently than you are expecting. The values in Color range from 0 to 1, not 0 to 255. (If you really prefer 0 to 255, there is a separate type you can use called Color32 which is effectively interchangeable with Color. https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Color32.html).

Now that's out of the way, this is a perfect use case for a Coroutine using Color.Lerp:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class test : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     private void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D collision) {
    3.         Debug.Log("Collision"); //Collision is true
    4.         StartCoroutine(FadeAlphaToZero(GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>(), 2f));
    5.     }
    7.     IEnumerator FadeAlphaToZero(SpriteRenderer renderer, float duration) {
    8.         Color startColor = renderer.color;
    9.         Color endColor = new Color(startColor.r, startColor.g, startColor.b, 0);
    10.         float time = 0;
    11.         while (time < duration) {
    12.             time += Time.deltaTime;
    13.             renderer.color = Color.Lerp(startColor, endColor, time/duration);
    14.             yield return null;
    15.         }
    16.     }
    17. }
    The coroutine will run every frame for the duration you give it, and it will gradually fade the alpha value of your sprite to 0 from wherever it started.

3. bitlysub2anf

bitlysub2anf

Works like a charm. Thank you very much (^∇^)
    I literary can imagine going through this searching the documentation for weeks, thinking code, watching tutorials. Phew, thank you once again.