Search Unity

How to export/save baked lightmap? (Unity 2017)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by filibis, Jul 27, 2017.

1. filibis

filibis

Is it possible to export/save lightmap for later use? And how?

I want to bake lights with very high quality which takes long time and save it somewhere, so i can continue editing/tweaking stuff to improve my scene with low-quality, then i can 'recall' higher quality one whenever i wish (when i decided not to change anything).
    ---
    Note: I am aware if i decided to change objects or lights, i need to rebake.
    Note 2: I use Progressive Lightmapper and Unity 2017.1.0f3

2. sylon

sylon

I'm not using 2017 yet, but if this hasn't changed :

Lightmaps are saved in your project/scene/ folder as .exr
    So you can just copy them from there.

3. filibis

filibis

There is only Reflection Probes as .exr files. Here is how my scene folder looks:

Unity Folder:
    unity_folder.JPG

Windows Folder:
    windows_folder.JPG

4. sylon

sylon

Weird.
    Search for "Lightmap-0_comp_light.exr" in your assets. Maybe it's somewhere else?

5. TheShock

TheShock

You can commit all project folder via GIT and then revert any changes, this is the most reliable way. You can see all files, that was changed and undo any of them.

I use this for the same purposes

6. filibis

filibis

@sylon - There is no other .exr files other than reflection probes in any of the folders. Something changed probably that you didn't notice :)

@TheShock - This sounds a bit time consuming and complicated. I'm after something more practical so that i can use with ease.

---
    I have came across to this question. There @Firedan1176 says:
    I don't know if this is the current solution since everything changes so fast. But i have no idea what kind of script i'm looking for either anyways. Do you have any idea?

7. sylon

sylon

Do you have "Auto Generated" checked in your lighting window?
    If so, i think your data is stored in your cache.
    If you uncheck it and generate a new build, perhaps your lightmaps will show up in your assets.

Hope it helps

filibis and UnityLighting like this.
  8. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

@sylon is right, you need to manually generate the lighting to store the lightmaps locally in your project

so3450 and filibis like this.
  9. filibis

filibis

Thank you @sylon and @kemalakay , yes 'Auto Generate' was on and i unchecked it, then clicked 'Generate Lighting' to build. So now i can see lightmap .png and .exr files in my folder.

generated_lighting_lightmap.JPG
    Thereby i struggle with second part of my issue, 'recalling' lighting maps. How can i do that?
    I enable 'Auto Generate' and notice my lightmaps stilll stays on folder as built which is cool. But i don't how to retrieve them without calculating the lightmaps again.

10. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Akshara and filibis like this.
  11. filibis

filibis

That's exactly what i was looking for, thank you very much @kemalakay

Here is a quick demo of 3 different lightmaps switching in play mode:

lightmap_switcher.gif

AzkabanProfessor, sylon and kemalakay like this.
  12. jricardomiguel

jricardomiguel

Mate, how you put this circle with the plant of the building here? Thanks.

13. filibis

filibis

It's called "minimap". I don't remember exactly how i did and i can't access project right now but i combined ideas from couple of tutorials to achieve the result.
    Check this for example: Implementing a Minimap in Unity
    Also try searching "making minimap in Unity" on Google, plenty of tutorials come up.

jricardomiguel likes this.
  14. orkungo

orkungo

15. filibis

filibis

Yes, it works in Unity 2017.1.0f3 as i'm using it. Did you read and followed the steps in github?

16. orkungo

orkungo

Yes I followed but the problem is with baking. I have day and night views for a scene. So I removed day/night lights from the scene and created two scenes respectively. Dragged scenes to the Level Light Map Data gameobject-script and baked/stored them one by one. After baking, it switches the lightmaps however it does not give the same result as I see when the lights are on at the scene..

17. orkungo

orkungo

Alright, now it seems I am bit closer to solution. Since I was missing the "Notes" section:

• if you want to use lights that don't have direct lighting baked, then you would need to also load the lighting scene associated with the lightmaps when operating the switch.
    And guess what, they were the spotlights not being rendered. So I will have to load day/night scenes additively, so far it seems to work when I load from editor additively.