Search Unity

Help Wanted How to exclude from prefabs objects with a specific component type?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Aka_ToolBuddy, May 1, 2021.

1. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi

The problem:
    I have a GameObject, GeneratorGO, having a component of type GeneratorT
    GeneratorT generates GameObjects, OutputGO, having components of type OutputT.
    All OutputGO are children of GeneratorGO.
    My goal is to be able to make GeneratorGO part of a prefab but to automatically exclude all the OutputGOs.

What I tried and didn't work:
    I tried finding some callback that is called everytime a prefab is saved, so I can modify the prefab when saved. Something similar to EditorSceneManager.sceneSaving. Could'nt find one

I tried setting the hideFlags of the OutputGO to DontSaveInEditor. That works, but that means that Global Illumination will ignore all meshes part of OutputGOs. That's a deal breaker for me.

I tried implementing ISerializationCallbackReceiver.OnBeforeSerialize() in GeneratorT, and make it delete all OutputGOs. That does not work because the inspector serializes GeneratorT. This means that all OutputGOs get deleted when I open the GeneratorT inspector.

Any help is welcome
    Thanks

2. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Since my original post, I discovered PrefabUtility.prefabInstanceUpdated. Unfortunately, I am still struggling making things work properly. Here is what I did:

Code (CSharp):
    2. PrefabUtility.prefabInstanceUpdated += instance =>
    3. {
    4.     string prefabPath = PrefabUtility.GetPrefabAssetPathOfNearestInstanceRoot(instance.gameObject);
    6.     Scene previewScene = EditorSceneManager.NewPreviewScene();
    8.     //This method is supposed to return the root, as stated in its documentation. It returns void.
    9.     PrefabUtility.LoadPrefabContentsIntoPreviewScene(prefabPath,
    10.         previewScene);
    11.     GameObject prefabContent = previewScene.GetRootGameObjects()[0];
    13.     bool wasModified = DeleteUnwantedGameObjects();
    15.     if (wasModified)
    16.     {
    17.         PrefabUtility.SaveAsPrefabAsset(prefabContent, prefabPath);
    18.     }
    21.     EditorSceneManager.ClosePreviewScene(previewScene);
    22.     AssetDatabase.SaveAssets();
    23.     AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    24. };
    With this code the prefab is indeed updated, but the update is considered by Unity (i.e: impacted on instances of said prefab) only when I Alt+Tab twice to force Unity to check files modifications. I thought the calls to AssetDatabase that I did should flush any changes. Any help?

Edit: The problem appears only when updating the prefab from within PrefabUtility.prefabInstanceUpdated. I couldn't solve this issue, so I had to avoid using that event.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
unityunity