Search Unity

Question How to enable or disable effects on audio mixer at runtime?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by valentin56610, Sep 5, 2022.

1. valentin56610

valentin56610

Hi there,

I am trying to enable or disable low pass effect on my audio mixer at runtime (enable it when my player is shell shocked to make all sounds deeper to simulate temporary deaf)

I tried googling but it seems nobody is even trying to do so? Like I am the only one having this issue

So, how am I supposed to do this? I thought enabling or disabling effects at runtime would be the easiest solution, seems it is not ...

CloudyVR, benmrx and MrDizzle26 like this.
  2. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

We have exactly the same problem, Ist sometimes quite funny like unity can't implement so obvious things like disabling sound effect by code. I still cant find any solution for that.

MrDizzle26 likes this.
  3. valentin56610

valentin56610

Thanks for bumping up the thread, still no luck on my end either...

4. imakegames3

imakegames3

I think the way to do this is to is with AudioMixer snapshots. this video will explain it better than I can.

5. valentin56610

valentin56610

Thank you

6. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

This is not a fix for a problem.

CloudyVR likes this.
  7. MrDizzle26

MrDizzle26

+1 for being able to bypass fx channels in code

8. ReprWasTaken

ReprWasTaken

You can use mixer.SetFloat to change the cutoff frequency of your lowpass filter (after exposing that variable). When you want the effect on, set the value low, but when you want it off, change it to 22000. Remember to import Unity.Audio into your script!

9. MrDizzle26

MrDizzle26

Can you confirm no audio processing is happening when you do that though? Without the ability to disable/bypass an audio FX through code, each solution to turn it "off" is custom and doesn't stop the processing from happening.

10. Zuuunk

Zuuunk

It is also my hunch that there is still processing behind the scenes. We can only assume that if they were thoughtful enough to turn it off when you crank to the max would have thought to put a programmable bypass in as well.

You can't even bypass it on one snapshot and have it enabled on another. It's insane something so obvious for performance would be omitted from a game engine. Unity's audio tooling is complete trash.

CloudyVR and MrDizzle26 like this.
  11. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

I can't simply turn on/off audio effects without having them constantly processing it in the background? If that's true, then that is absolutely INSANE.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    forestrf and valentin56610 like this.
  12. forestrf

forestrf

I'm not 100% sure because I didn't test it on a player, but
    AudioMixerGroup
    are actually
    AudioMixerGroupController
    , an internal class that could be accessed through reflection and which has the parameters
    bypassEffects
    solo
    mute
    and even a list of effects.

It reminds me of the AnimatorController, which has a similar class related to it that can't be used on a build, but this seems it would work.

13. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

I doubt it's that bad... I agree there is much to do but come on :p have some faith! We love sound at least as much as you do. I'll have a look at this because it's a valid concern, but I'm hopeful. A quick scan in the code base reveals the existence of a few bypass-like variables, but it's always complicated to jump the hoops between Unity and FMOD. To be continued...

MrDizzle26 and forestrf like this.
  14. MrDizzle26

MrDizzle26

I'm delighted to have some communication on this, thanks for taking a look.

15. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

After some digging, I can confirm that bypassed effects are not being processed when turned off. When the "wetness" of an effect is detected as 0, it automatically set the bypass flag, effectively NOT calling the processing function of the plugin.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    MrDizzle26 and forestrf like this.