Search Unity

How to enable headless mode on Unity Could Build?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by desertkun, Mar 11, 2016.

1. desertkun

desertkun

Hello!

I am trying build a game server for Linux using Could Build, but to achieve that I need "headless mode" option to be enabled. It's mandatory to run the build on my Debian machine.

But there's no such option in "Advanced options" section at project's page in Unity Could Build. There's a "Pre-Export Method Name" option, though, but I don't know how to enabled headless mode using it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class CloudBuild
    2. {
    3.     public static void BeforeBuild()
    4.     {
    5.         ??? BuildOptions.EnableHeadlessMode
    6.     }
    7. }
    How can I achieve that? Thank you.

2. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

3. desertkun

desertkun

Thank you very much!

4. desertkun

desertkun

Unfortunately, with this code does not work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    4. public class CloudBuild: MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public static void BeforeBuild()
    7.     {
    8.         EditorUserBuildSettings.enableHeadlessMode = true;
    9.     }
    10. }
    What am I doing wrong? I've put this script into "Assets/Editor" folder, and set "CloudBuild.BeforeBuild" as a "Pre-Build Script", but the resulting build is 100% identical with the one without such option. Also, I can attach the full build log.

UPD. So, apparently, with this option enabled I cannot get the build with headless mode. I've added a Debug.Log line to check if it gets executed, and it does.

I believe I should pass the BuildOptions.EnableHeadlessMode option somewhere somehow. How can I access the building pipeline then?

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

The BuildOptions.EnableHeadlessMode enum is passed into the final call to the BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer function if you are doing a build directly. We ultimately run that in Unity cloud build, let me check on our usage of the BuildOptions and EditorUserBuildSettings.enableHeadlessMode and get back to you.

6. desertkun

desertkun

Thank you for the response, would appreciate it.

7. desertkun

desertkun

Any news on this?

8. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. We only support a subset of the BuildOptions enum in cloud build and headless mode is not one of those options currently. I've been discussing options with the team about expanding those options and how best to handle it but nothing concrete just yet.

9. desertkun

desertkun

Sorry for disturbing, but is there any update on this?

10. ed-altorfer

ed-altorfer

I'm also looking for a solution to the same problem. The server part of my game needs to run headless and I currently have no way of making these builds other than doing it manually.

11. darthbator

darthbator

I am also looking for this support. Unless there's plans to get that unet server .dll out there fairly quickly I need to imagine headless linux builds are only going to become more common.

12. Miiirage

Miiirage

@Ryanc_unity What is the status of this now? We're also exploring to incorporate Unity Cloud build in our company, but this is a must-have feature in order to pass.

13. ParallelPlaidJoel

ParallelPlaidJoel

Has anyone figured this out?

14. MrMike-ArtCraft

MrMike-ArtCraft

Bump. Just ran into this on my project too. I've written a bug to track this problem: (Case 872169)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  15. Soulbadger

Soulbadger

Another nudge, any news, I currently have one server component that I have to build manually because of this, everything else is beautifully CI

16. RJS

RJS

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

This is still a problem on August 2017.

Feels pretty weird to me that it is not possible to use Unity Cloud Builds for a multiplayer game – where you need a headless server.

18. goldbug

goldbug

@Ryanc_unity. Any update on this? years go buy and there is seemingly no progress. How hard can it be to add a flag to the build pipeline?

19. thomaswollbekk

thomaswollbekk

20. iMer

iMer

Anything?

Would be nice so I dont have to roll my own build system just for a server build..

21. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,
    Sorry for the very delayed response on this very high demand feature!

I can confirm that this has been worked on and this feature is to go ahead. I will post again once I have an update for when this will be released.

goldbug likes this.
  22. goldbug

goldbug

Better late than never, tx.

Unfortunately this is not enough for me, HLAPI is abandoned. I need to build with HLAPI Pro which is not possible with unity cloud build.

I resorted to putting together my own CI/CD system, it is a lot of work, but it is the only way at the moment.

23. iMer

iMer

Thanks a lot!

janne404, ollieblanks and goldbug like this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ollieblanks it's more than a year later. Are there any news?

25. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

@Alexees, please see @iMer 's response above. Headless mode has been available for a while now and is configured within Advanced Settings of your Linux build target. If you have any issues or concerns with set up, please let me know.

26. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

Is there a reason this isn't available on a windows build?
    I see the option with Linux 64's advanced options but not in Windows 64 advanced options

Granted we will likely switch to a nix server but in the mean time while we are testing we are using a windows box to host the server and so are having to manually build the server.

Also ... why does a build kick off when you first save it?
    The create new build target doesn't even expose all the options I feel it shouldn't kick off when it saves but rather simply save the settings so I can then edit the advanced options and or decide when I want it to run.