Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to efficiently disable rendering for a specific Entity?

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by MeepMeep_Games, Dec 30, 2022.

1. MeepMeep_Games

MeepMeep_Games

A few methods come to mind:

- Adding / Removing the 'DisableRendering' component
    - Adding / Removing the 'Disabled' component (also disables all other logic, ideal for pooling?)
    - Moving the entity out of bounds / modifying to bounds
    - Scaling the entity to 0,0,0
    - ?

However all these methods either cause a structural change or feel like a hack.
    With the new 'IEnableableComponent' I feel like there should be one for the rendering aswell? So we can simply enable/disable rendering that way.

2. Arnold_2013

Arnold_2013

I also hope a enable/disable is possible, but have not looked into it yet (still in progress of upgrading to ECS1.0).

Adding to your list, I currently instantiate/destroy a 'render entity' that follows an 'game entity'. This is for enemies that come in sight range since they will be visible/invisible without switching often.
    (for entities that switch visibility more often I move them out of bounds, but it has happened that they where fighting there with other out of bounds units :), so i use different 'faraway' coordinates for different units)

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  3. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

Currently there is no enableable component to disable rendering, but it is something we are looking at. Meanwhile, all of the methods you listed are valid.

4. EidLoi

EidLoi

+1 for making the DisableRendering an EnableableComponent (sorry for the necro!).

I am working on a 3D tile/grid map editor and I have a fast way to reduce the number of entities needed to be rendered to about 5% of the total count during gameplay: We simply bake a block id on each entity and cull blocks outside the camera - with a little padding for the shadows.

The cull takes a few microseconds, but even in our test case where we only reduce to 30% (to render about 3k entities) we save 0.3ms consistently on a 24 core CPU. That is, until the camera moves and we do structural changes. I think it isn't even the structural change itself, but rather how the rendering system picks them up afterwards, but I am not sure. The result is a choppier frame rate while the camera moves, but a better standstill frame rate. I can imagine it would be even more apparent on something like a 4/8 core CPU.

Since we are about to add grass, this culling will be even more important and we want to avoid going the BatchRendererGroup way.

Also, while working on this I noticed that ChunkWorldRenderBounds are entirely useless. There is no sensible way to sort entities to the chunks, so each chunk has a render bound roughly the size of the whole scene (imagine, it's picking up flowers from all over the place!). And I also noticed that even if I force chunks to be spatially confined to blocks, the render system doesn't seem to care. (I did this test using a custom shared component, so the entities are not batched separately like what the EntitiesGraphicsBatchPartition would cause).

On a side note: multi-material renderers are baked to separate entities, which don't pass through authoring component bakers. Having to make a separate baking system for these is nice and dandy, but some docs would be nice on this!

5. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on improvements related to disabling rendering using enableable components, and on multi-material renderers.

As for ChunkWorldRenderBounds, manually forcing entities to spatially local chunks using shared components should be reflected in the chunk render bounds, and should hopefully improve the hierarchical culling performance. It is true that the actual batching does not care, but culling does not consider the batch of an ECS chunk anyway so that shouldn't be a problem as such. Batching affects what can get batched together in a single draw call (need to have same mesh, same material, same batch, same flags) after culling has completed.

6. lclemens

lclemens

I think there should be two tags... One that is structural (for long term disabling) and one that is enableable for short term things like muzzle flashes.

7. JussiKnuuttila

JussiKnuuttila

Unity Technologies

The structural one already exists, it's called DisableRendering. For the second one, we are making the MaterialMeshInfo component an enableable component so it can be used for the short term things like you mention.

alemnunez and lclemens like this.
  8. lclemens

lclemens

Yeah I knew about DisableRendering. So that is 50% of the way there.

For the other one, something like PauseRendering that is exactly like DisableRendering, but enableable instead would be nice. Is MaterialMeshInfo currently enableable, or is that something coming in a future release?

crash_over likes this.
  9. LorinAtzbergerUnity

LorinAtzbergerUnity

Unity Technologies

MaterialMeshInfo is not currently an enableable component but it should be in 1.1-exp1 which we're hoping to release as soon as we can.

filod, vanyfilatov, PeppeJ10C and 2 others like this.