Search Unity

How to efficiently apply logic to target entities

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by jeremies_unity, Sep 17, 2019.

1. jeremies_unity

jeremies_unity

We have a lot of effects in our game (procs/triggers, health linking, homing projectiles) that require "target" entities. We currently GetComponentData and GetBuffer on the targets to apply logic on them and/or the source.

This seems like a very naive approach, and I would like to know what's the best practice for this use case.

For example, would it be better to have a separate query for these target entities and fill NativeHashMaps beforehand?

Opeth001 and Deleted User like this.
  2. Singtaa

Singtaa

In general, ComponentDataFromEntity + Burst Jobs should be the recommended way of dealing with arbitrary entities. If you have a lot of extreme one-to-many relations (i.e. tons of homing missiles but only a handful of targets), then you can utilize the batch api to gain more performance.

3. jesta

jesta

Is there an equivalent of ComponentDataFromEntity for DynamicBuffers?

4. Singtaa

Singtaa

Yes, BufferFromEntity. Those are the only two *FromEntity right now. There are times I wish there are more, like ArchetypeFromEntity and ChunkFromEntity.

5. TheGabelle

TheGabelle

Is it possible to test a query against an entity?

6. Singtaa

Singtaa

TheGabelle likes this.
  7. TheGabelle

TheGabelle

It'd be nice if I could check if an entity tests true using an EntityQueryDesc, but ComponentDataFromEntity.Exists() will yield the same results if I use a few. Thanks!