Search Unity

How to easily remove vertices and edges or merge faces removing excess geometry?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Phedg1, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Phedg1

Phedg1

As a simple test I started with a square face. I then extruded additional faces out all in the same plane to create a complex shape. I decide this is the shape I'm chasing but I'd like the faces to all be merged so they can be treated as one. I merge the faces but see all my old vertices and edges throughout my new face. I can't seem to delete vertices or edges, only entire faces or objects. There seems to be no way to clean up my object and I'm stuck with lines and dots throughout its surface. Is there anything I can do here? Is there really no automated tool or function I can use that will clean this up for me?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Sorry for the extra work, we don't have an automated method to delete those extras yet. However, you can use the Collapse function to remove vertices (collapsing many down to one). This works especially well if you use the "Collapse to First" option. Hope that helps for now, new tools will address this in the future!

Dillxn, Benzeyne and marcospgp like this.
  3. DeeHants

DeeHants

Very late to the party, but a method I used, was moving the vertex to the same point as its neighbour along an edge, select them both, then Weld Vertices. This removes the duplicate.

irontal likes this.
  4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

wow.
    I can't believe there is no way to delete a vertex with pro builder!
    Seriously, why is it still the case?
    Seems like the most basic thing a mesh editor should have!

astracat111, stychu and YevhenKut like this.
  5. Cloud_Sky

Cloud_Sky

Hooray, I found the solution. You need to set a checkmark "collaps to first" and do as on this gif:

6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Well, that's a way to do it.
    A bit convoluted but it works.

7. Zorkind

Zorkind

It triangulates tho, it pisses me off :-\

Also the face subdivide is annoying, it splits in weird shapes some times :-\

AliceWasNeverHere likes this.
  8. Nano-brain

Nano-brain

So, 2022 calling...Pro Builder still doesn't seem to allow deletion of vertices. :eek:

CGMD5283 and anotherhero like this.
  9. anotherhero

anotherhero

Yeah I'm trying to delete some edges or vertices in a simple manner and I'm not seeing any options to do so. On latest probuilder Unity Version 2021.2.11f1

10. LordCafe

LordCafe

Preety sad that we still don't have this feature, had to delete a whole model cus there was no way to delete the vertices and merge destroyed all the mesh... hope we get this 'feature' one day.

11. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

It's actually insanely hard to delete vertices from a mesh in Unity in general, even using the C# API:
    The way the meshes are structured makes it so hard in fact that I just gave up and make new triangles instead, letting orphaned vertices in there.
    It's ugly and eats memory on the final mesh, but there is no performance penalty in real time.

12. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

I'm trying to use the Collapse function at runtime to get rid of hanging vertices after I merge faces.

The aim is to use the "Collapse to First" option to collapse all hanging vertices to the nearest remaining vertex on the newly merged face. However, I cannot distinguish the hanging vertices from the ones that are part of the merged face.

The merged face object still has all of the original vertices that were part of the pre-merged faces in its distinctIndexes list, so I cannot tell them apart.

Does anyone please have any suggestions for how I can work out the hanging vertices after I merge faces?