Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to earn £12,000 in one year from game development?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Sep 10, 2011.

?

How much do you earn from games development

1. $10,000 or Less - Just for Fun

139 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. $30,000 or Less it's still a hobby

8 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. $30,000 or More making a living from it

68 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Arowx

Arowx

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Grasshopper, you need to search your inner feelings. Let go your conscious self and act on instinct. You may feel the need of companionship, nay, a fellowship even, to help you upon this journey, but you must leave these feelings behind. This needs to be something you do on your own. Explore your strengths. Learn your weaknesses. You have given yourself a year. Spend this time looking inward, not outward, for a solution.

3. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Great advice!

Art is very important, if you lose your artist, what'll happen to your quest?

Taking in an artist means having your success depend on the work of someone else...think about it, you want to make 12k for yourself in a year, but you want the fate of that journey to be in the hands of some other guy? NAY!! that's too risky! >__>;;

It's cool if you ask for a little help. My advice would be learn to make most the art yourself, and then you wont depend on other people's art. Only then you can make use of all the artistic help you can get without any major risks!

4. janpec

janpec

Yep, but just dont take Boromir with you, he is a backstaber:D

Just get some artist to help you out, if you will do programming and art while being low experianced, this almost always ends with something being done poorly.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It generally ends up being uncompleted if the programmer does all the work, even if talented in both fields, due to the constant pressure of work. Doing twice the work is seldom fun.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hmm I see! and you guys are probably right, but considering his situation, he might want to be a little in control just for this one. He is certainly not going to pay an artist's salary; splitting the 12k target would defeat the whole purpose of the 12k challenge, unless he calls it 6k challenge; and doubling the target to 24k might be even more of a killer than learning some art, especially if 12k are promised to the other party... unless they both get a % (maybe he could find a balance between the $ target, and the % share between himself and the artist), of course OP is going to handle that using his own judgement.

I see he already has some valuable art skills, what I'm thinking is... if he makes an extra effort, maybe he could save himself from being 100% dependent on someone else's art style.
    Of course he should have all the help he can get. But to let someone be in charge of "half his project", he'd need the artist to help him through a whole year, on little or no pay (probably an unemployed teenager), and all this with the goal of over $10k for OP. That feels like an unstable situation to maintain during 365 days :-S

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. janpec

janpec

The thing is he cant afford this right now. His skills are not high enough to go on road where he can take art too. He should rather focous on programming and pay someone else for art, becouse this will also increase quallity of his game. You are looking it from good perspective, but since he isnt that skilled on art area, i think that hiring someone would be much better choice.

8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I think I'm with dogzerx with this one. Are you an artist, coder, or indie game maker? If you are one of the first two, go get a job. If your the latter, them make a game and sell it.

That being said, if you need assets you feel you cannot make, then you need to budget acquiring them.

Trying to "team up" with someone, I feel, is both un-tenable and defeats the purpose of the experiment.

If you end up paying a team to do things under your direction, great! You're successful!

A collaborative team effort? Not so sure.

When it comes to assets, you do need to know your strengths and weaknesses. I have a WWI air combat game in the works, and the best models I can get for the time and money did turn out to be ones I could buy. These models were inexpensive, accurately modeled and it was far more efficient to buy than to build. And as an historical asset, there was very little I could add to them. Other assets I'm creating myself. But until you've rolled up your sleeves and jumped in, how do you know what you are capable of?

-

Cross-post with Janpec: Yes, I'd agree with you that *purchasing* assets doesn't defeat the purpose. Trying to get a partner does.

9. janpec

janpec

Well i didnt mean as much partner but rather freelance artist. Not someone who you make 50% 50% deal with, but someone who is payed for what he does. I am pretty sure that 6 games what he has so far, cant eat 6000 dollars.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If it was me I would be making a highly polished simple top down or side scroller, using 3D graphics, clever lighting and minimal detail. But he is choosing things like free-roam exploration stuff, which is only going to look bad because the moment you go free roam, is the moment your art asset requirements shoot through the roof.

11. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I hate to say it, but, large terrains are so pushbutton with the Unity editor it is easy to be seduced by a large built-in terrain, built-in character controller and some simple scripts. One feels up and running fast.

I think it could be the grey of unfocused limbo if not the dark side... hard to tell which is worse.

12. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I think I'd agree, to start out with a 2D game because 3D starts to get more time consuming when you have modelling to do and trying to get things looking half decent.

13. Arowx

Arowx

;0)

14. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Oophs, yeah... thinking about it, a simple game shouldn't require 6k worth of art. If a game is simple, like hippo said, it could certainly be made with a lot less.

He should keep in mind, though, if he's going to team up like this (low budget hired art), he's still going to need to do the extra mile, because since he's going to rely less in aesthetic, he's going to have to produce a better gameplay, be more original and all.

For example, say someone is making a game, but the genre is unoriginal... a simple platformer. He's going to rely all the success on making it as pretty and dynamic as he can, and within the genre try to offer as much variety as he can. Within the next couple of months he will make new content fast because of the simplicity of the aesthetics he has chosen. He can do that because he is making the art himself!

Maybe OP will get lucky and get great art for low budget, but he should still concentrate on quality rather than quantity. Find a game that requires less art, and make that art nicer!
    Follow hippo's advice!

15. janpec

janpec

That is what i wanted to say. Most IOS RPG games are very boring on first sight becouse you are very limited with how much assets you can put on screen. This just makes whole game one big empty terrain. I think that some top down shooter would be best choice for starter, becouse it does not require that much assets and also from programming part it is the easiest thing to set up.

16. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Quack! Quack! Quaaack! Arowx. Quack! Quack. Arowx! Quack. Quack. Quack? Arowx. Quack! Quack! Arowx!!! Quack, quack, quack. Quack! Quack!

Would you take the advice of a 300lb couch potato on how to run a marathon?

Attached Files:

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Simple.

This is my X-Factor/Big Brother Game. I have just a few hours into this. Quick forms in Blender. Fool with some particles. A quick script or two.

-

Do you realize that you have 13 works in progress on your main page?

18. Arowx

Arowx

6 beta 1 alpha 6 complete!

19. blackwind

blackwind

I finally read the whole thread. It was GREAT!

Besides of what JustinLloyd said, would you have something to add on your perspectivo of what "right marketing" is?

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not really, there are some secrets I do want to keep - at least until I get first dibs done with.

21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hey JustinLloyd, I have a question in regards of the couch potato analogy (guessing we, the inexperienced, are the couch potatoes >__<) does that simply mean our insight that meaningless? Or is it something specific?

22. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I think it means if you aren't going out there and practicing and striving towards your goal... and in the case of the marathon and the potato, running, training, etc., vs. sitting on the couch with a bag of chips planning an exercise routine. Hence: Would you take a couch potato to a marathon?

The simple transliteration would be: Don't talk about it, do it.

23. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Oh. Yeah, certainly!
    That's what we should all be doing :D

I got started with a simple platformer already. So far you can only move left and right. It'll be a few months work before it's ready!
    I'm also new at this, I'm following a similar target $ than arowx!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11214337/grumpycatpreview/WebPlayer.html

24. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks very good, love the animations! Hopefully in the next version I can make it to the next roof! :D

25. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

The couch potato analogy I use quite a bit. Here's the break down: The couch potato weighs 300lbs. Nearly 150Kg for people in Europe. He sits on the couch all day and watches daytime television. He's always weighed 300lbs. Never a pound less. He owns own an XBOX with a ton of games but not a Kinect because that would mean getting off the couch and possibly miss an interesting gardening show. Actually, gardening shows aren't all that interesting but the batteries in the remote are on the way out and new ones are on order from Amazon but they won't arrive for a few days so couch potato doesn't want to waste what little power the TV remote has just idly changing channels. It's all about conserving resources, donchaknow? Couch potato wears a utilikilt, very comfortable by the way, which is covered in Cheeto's dust which he thinks may have also given him some kind of weird urinary tract infection because his penis is also bright orange and when his unemployment cheque turns up at the end of the week he's gonna go see a urologist or possibly his friend who once took a First Aid course and maybe he can figure it out. Or maybe the urologist will be a she and couch potato will get to fulfill a lifelong dream. HIs friend John, he runs ten miles every day, couch potato and John don't have much in common except that they both love XBOX games. When John The Runner is over, couch potato tells him exactly what he needs to do to get out there every day, what to eat, what to wear, what to watch out for, things like Jogger's Nipple, which can be a bear on someone who eats Cheeto's all day because those nipples can get pretty big. When couch potato is dispensing his wisdom, John listens with barely half-an-ear, completely fixated on his XBOX game. Everything couch potato knows, he's read, or sort of read. Sometimes the knowledge was a little too lengthy and in-depth but he was able to grok it and skip most of the details because he's so knowledgeable about so many other subjects. Some of what couch potato says about running marathon's didn't come from any reliable sources, he just sort of inferred what should work based on his extensive knowledge of having read about marathons on the wikipedia page and watching a couple of non-gardening shows on daytime television. Obviously John is going to win that first marathon he goes for if he just religiously follows the advice dispensed by couch potato. And if John doesn't win, doesn't even complete the marathon, well, he obviously didn't want it hard enough and didn't follow the couch potato's advice to the letter.

Don't take the advice of how to run a marathon from someone who has never run a marathon and is incapable of running a marathon.

Those that can, do. Those that cannot, post on Slashdot.

Beware the advice you receive, even mine.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

27. janpec

janpec

Holly S*** this is looking nice so far.

28. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Lol, now I see the whole picture about the couch potatoes. It's true, all of our advice or insights should be taken carefully, or not at all.

I like arowx endevour because it's kind of what many of us are trying to do for a long time, but I think the way he is doing it is very original.

Not having completed a game means I'm only a couch potato! I'm only thinking out loud. OP will determine if what we say is reasonable or not :p

I think the most promising and reasonable tip I've seen around here lately is to give the ios market a try! I wouldn't have taken that step otherwise, but I'm eager to see how it goes. Not sure how the marketing part will work out, but I leave those concerns for later stages.

Btw thanks for the compliments about the platformer test thing! :D I'd kill to test it on an actual iphone! But in the mean time I better get to work :-0 (also, I was too lazy to add a reset button lol, but it's true I should have!)

29. joshimoo

joshimoo

Are you more artist or more programmer?

30. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Why, here's a really nice game that didn't require a big art budget! (a bit on the extreme side, even, it's all circles!)

Hope it works as a bit of inspiration! I don't know about you but looks like a lot of fun!

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

That was very cool, thanks for sharing!

32. ghreef

ghreef

Hello all - first post on the Unity boards. I've been playing around with Unity for about a month now - trying to break into the gaming world. I took the typical approach - I want to make an MMORPG, got TGA, realized it was stupid, moved on to about 5 other engines since then all hitting issues with them. I finally hit Unity, and have the "experience" to realize that casual gaming is a much easier and realistic way to break into the market.

(really, this ties into the topic....)

soooo - all caught up on the reading and tutorials, and I'm on my way to game #1, as a web dev game. Even the article on this site discusses the success potential of web based development and games and that you can make some ok loot doing it. But - this thread seems to disaree with that approach, being much more IOS centric. So, I'm still going to make a few games for the web for experience, and I understand these can be easily ported to IOS anyway so it's building up the pipeline. My two questions: is it true, if I create a few web based games, that I can easily port them over to idevices (I assume changing the controls will be necessary) and 2, why the drastic disparity in money making approaches between the site's web based casual gaming income through ad revenue (essentially) and this thread's app sales on idevices?

Thanks.
    gh

33. janpec

janpec

I believe that there isnt much difference needed between IOS and web games. There are just some changes needed in controls, but also in shaders becouse you want to use windows shaders for web games and mobile shaders for IOS. But basically there isnt any technical difference in development, only some changes on controls.
    For income it is 100% that IOS games have bigger potential, earning money trough ad revenue for web games is very hard and brings a little.

34. ghreef

ghreef

k thanks. Seems like the plan is ok - break out a few web based games while I save up the $500 for 1) the IOS Unity license 2) App developer charge from apple. Then make the needed changes to switch the web games to app games and roll them out. Somewhere in the middle, figure out an appropriate marketing strategy.

Thanks for the quick reply - great thread. Lots of insight. I look forward to becoming part of the commUnity. ;)

35. janpec

janpec

Good strategy ;)

36. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I think marketing is a very important part of this... and the most mystifying...

Read this article for a little more insight into the reality of app sales:
    http://gigaom.com/apple/the-average-ios-app-publisher-isnt-making-much-money/

As it mentions there is an average payout of only $8,500 per publisher... and since some take millions, others are getting very little. You need to be able to muscle these numbers around into your favour so that you are "above average". This means good game play, a good looking game, and the marketing to make sure people knows it's there.

You also need to know your market.

Look at Tenebrous' game "Accelerator" on Kongregate. Make in a week (or weekend) and then updates and fixes for the next week. Got hundreds of thousands of plays, only make a few hundred dollars at last report - but that's good for that market.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/TenebrousP/accelerator

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  37. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

You can drown in a river with an average depth of just six inches.

38. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Be better than average.

40. ghreef

ghreef

yeah, I'm a statistics guys - average is a junk number (once you dig into it). Once you sway the curve of income from that "average" by basing approach on things like smart marketing, quality workmanship (this obviously varies based on target market and ROI) and the last, most important, willingness to apply elbow grease, one can almost universally drop the bottom 30-40% of that "average". BUT - I'll stick to the aforementioned couch potato discussion, only believe 5% of what you read on the net. ;) (of course, everything I just said was already succinctly summarized by Little Angel: "be better than average". :D

41. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

If I gave you the one simple trick that will guarantee you success in life and abundant riches, would you do what I tell you? Well... I know right now that you wouldn't, but you say you will, just so you can hear the trick so I'll tell you anyway.

This trick, this one trick above all other things you can do in life, starting right now, today, will guarantee you are a success at whatever it is you want. You will be successful beyond your wildest dreams. Money, fame, notoriety, people wanting to know you, people wanting to be you, all of that can be yours, absolutely guaranteed, with just this simple trick. I will make two guarantees in what you are about to read: You've already had the first guarantee, this works and you will be a success if you do this! Don't forget that guarantee because it is really important but not as important as the second one which I will reveal, don't worry about that, read the rest of this first and you will understand how to achieve everything you have ever wanted from life with two absolute sure guarantees.

So before you can do the trick, you have to do a little preparation, don't worry, it's not much. The preparation actually takes less effort than the trick and I've divided it up in to several very small, easily digestible parts so there is no mysterious "and magic happens here" step that will leave you floundering. Anybody can follow along and do this.

Find a location in the world. This location can be anywhere; your bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, your office, your cubicle, the street outside. The location itself isn't all that important but you can make it be important if you believe it will help you do the second part. You just need to pick one place that you can call yours. This location, your location, needs to be somewhere you can go every day but some days you might not be able to get there, but that's okay, you pick a new location for that day. You want your location to be a place where you can firmly plant your feet.

You go to your location, stand or sit, however you want, both feet -- assuming you weren't injured in a horrible accident, but it still works even if you cannot get both feet on the ground -- planted firmly so that you are well balanced and won't become fatigued for what you are about to engage in.

Then, you raise your dominant hand in the air. If you are left handed, raise your left hand, if you are right handed, raise your right hand.

And you keep your hand in the air for the next sixty minutes. One complete hour.

You don't IM, you don't text with your free hand, you don't take phone calls, you don't surf the web, you don't do anything except keep your dominant hand in the air for one whole hour. The moment you do anything other than natural bodily functions such as breathing, sneezing, coughing and so forth that cause you to do anything but hold your hand in the air, you fail that hour and you go home for the day.

When the hour is done and over with, you put your hand down, you return to your normal life.

It's Friday night and your friends want to go out but you planned on standing in your location with your hand in the air for an hour. What do you do? You stand in your location with your hand in the air for an hour.

You partied really hard Friday night and now it is Saturday. You're hung over, you don't remember anything from yesterday, you feel terrible and all you want to do is stay in bed all day, but you planned on standing in your location and holding your hand in the air. What should you do? You stand in your location with your hand in the air for one whole hour.
    Sunday, you're refreshed and ready to go. You get up, drink some coffee, go to your location and put your hand up but three minutes in... your friends are on IM, the laptop is beeping in the background for attention, your phone is ringing and your SMS messages are stacking up because your friends really need to talk to you, right now, about the great time they had on a Friday night and do you remember that drunken hand stand you did? But what are you doing? You're adamant you are standing with your hand in the air for the next 57 minutes.

Monday at work, you had a terrible, stressful day, your boss was an arse, you've been given extra work to do and you have to work late. Finally you are on the commute home and you out plan on how you are going to collapse on the couch, surf random TV channels and consume vast quantities of pizza and soda. But... you still haven't gone to your location today and put your hand in the air for an hour. Oh man, what should you do? You go to your location and you put your hand in the air for an hour.

As you drift off to sleep, you think of your upcoming vacation, two whole weeks of hiking through the Arizona desert snapping pictures of amazing looking telephone poles as they march stoically across the American West. It is going to be so awesome and you will have lots of happy memories, and many pictures of telephone poles, to keep you busy cataloguing them in the years to come. You are going to be far away from your own personal spot where you can stand with your hand in the air for an hour. What do you do?

Every day you stand with your hand in the air for one hour. Every single day until you achieve your final goal, you do the exact same thing.

Today you stand with your hand in the air for one hour. Tomorrow you stand with your hand in the air for one hour. The day after that, you stand with your hand in the air for one hour. And the day after the day after that, guess what? You stand with your hand in the air for one hour!

Every day, until you are absolutely awesome at holding your hand in the air, and people come from miles around to watch you do it, and other people start emulating you and holding their hands in the air too, maybe for a few minutes more than you, probably for several tens of minutes less than you. People are starting to talk, not about the crazy guy holding his hand in the air for an hour every day but how well you do it, how effortlessly you manage it. "Maybe one day", they say "I too will find an hour a day to hold my hand in the air and be just as good at it as you are."

Eventually, you will meet people who will ask "What's the best way to hold my hand in the air for an hour every day?" or "Can I do it only on weekends and still be as good as you?" or "Can I chat with my friend whilst I hold my hand in the air because they also want to hold their hand in the air, so we're both doing the same thing together, right?" and even "What's the fastest way to be able to hold my hand in the air as well as you but without having to do it every day for the next ten years?"

Great oratorical conversations and discussions will be presented on the technical merits of whether it is best to hold the left hand or the right hand in the air and whether to hold the dominant hand or the non-dominant hand. Some will suggest that both hands held in the air will produce twice the result and also stop you from answering your phone. They may even debate about a particular time of the day that it is best to put their hand up to produce the greatest results and argue endlessly about morning people are the smartest at holding their hand in the air and you should do this before doing anything else with your day. People will wear special clothing and insist on short sleeves when holding their hand in the air to have less drag on the initial point when the hand first goes up. This obviously means they can put their hand in the air more often, even at a moment's notice if need be, and hopefully faster than anyone else around them. They will gather at coffee shops and busy intersections, in their tight short sleeve shirts to show off to others how great they can hold their hand in the air. They won't just put their hand up once, and hold it there for an hour, but they will do it many, many times in just a few short seconds, just in case a passerby missed an opportunity to watch how graceful they were at putting their hand up.

Eventually, someone will invent a device that permits one end to be fastened to the ceiling and a strap or other convenience to go around the wrist. By the cranking of a windlass the hand is effortlessly raised above the head and held there for as long as need be, be it thirty seconds or several days, leaving the user of said device to freely go about their busy lives whilst their hand takes care of its own business. You will be able to purchase this device, with an extended warranty, from the in-flight SkyMall magazine and other fine high street outlets and purveyors of other absurd devices. Patents will be filed, first for a device that holds the dominant hand in the air, then another patent for a device that holds the non-dominant hand. Another patent will appear from a competing manufacturer for both hands in the air. Finally, a patent will be filed for a device that enables either hand to be held in the air that leaves the fingers of the suspended hand free to operate a plurality of electronic devices and/or hold a hot and/or cold beverage contained in a cylindrical receptacle suitable for the conveyance of liquids. The social networks and Slashdot will ignite with claims of obviousness and prior art, and expounding the virtues of the best devices to use, all the while utterly missing the point of why you hold your hand in the air for precisely one hour per day, every day.

Several books and many, many web pages will be written about this difficult and complex subject of how best to hold your hand in the air. Practitioners will go on tours with titles like "If you're happy and you know it, hold your hand in the air." They will hold "Hand in the air workshops" where people will pay large sums of money to be told by someone else how best to hold their hand in the air, and for a week or two, they will themselves hold their hand in the air for an hour, or just under an hour, because that's the same thing really, every day, which everyone knows is as time permits and they aren't feeling too tired from doing it the day before the day before yesterday when they threw their shoulder out and it has started to twinge until the next workshop comes along and they can get their next fix on the latest ways to hold their hand in the air. Someone, possibly you, but probably y not, will become incredibly famous for doing exactly what you do, and will write the de facto book on the technique such as "The Secret Handshake: How I held my hand in the air for seven minutes a day and how you can too just by thinking about it."

The wise and learned denizens of the Internet will consume all of these vast treatises with gusto, nodding sagely at each new development and technique. Some will join online forums and practice holding their hand in the air diligently for almost two weeks until they have gotten the hang of it and can show it off to their friends. Others will of course try it but realise it is not for the likes of them, their lifestyle doesn't really fit with the requirements, they work all day and need to communicate with friends and family in the weekday evenings, the weekends are full of errands, if there were only some other thing, such as standing on one foot for three minutes a day, that they could do, that would achieve the same effect, they would do that instead and then everything else in their lives would just naturally fall in to place.

Eventually, on a day much like today, you will overhear the best conversation about that time you held your hand in the air and people realised you were really good at it and then they will say "Yes, but nobody had heard of him before, he only started just yesterday with this holding of his hand in the air. If you or I can figure out which day and hour that made him really good at what he does, and do that, we too will be successful." And the other person will reply, "Okay, but so long as we don't have to do any of that other stuff such as finding a location because I really, really like holding my hand in the air and I'm getting really good at it and enjoy it immensely but I'm afraid of that being in a location stuff, I just don't understand how people can do that or even how to start."

That's the trick. Go to your location, put your hand in the air, stay like that for sixty minutes, and do nothing else but that. Do that exact thing, every day until you are a success.

And here is my second guarantee, you won't do it.

Also, on a day, not too unlike today, someone will post on a forum somewhere that they are creating an MMOHAHITAG (massively multiplayer online holding a hand in the air game) and they just need to recruit a few artists and several dozen scripters because really, they are the ideas person and they can't do any of that stuff themselves but the MMOHAHITAG is going to be utterly awesome!!! because it will have at least three hundred different animations, rendered with voxels, of someone putting their hand in the air and time will be able to go backwards.

And within two minutes someone, not unlike me, will post "Show us your goddamn F*****G GDD or GTFO!"

42. janpec

janpec

Hm one might say you speak in riddles like Gandalf:D Good post btw.

43. Arowx

Arowx

Wow this has really motivated me, actually I had an awe inspiring eureka moment, if I stop reading this thread and write a game I will be so much closer to my goal and if I do it every day! ;o)

44. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

What?

You want the source code to life?

What good will that do?

Will you learn anything if you have the source code but you never read it?

Will you do anything if you have the source code but never compile it?

The source code will just sit on your hard drive, gathering digital rot and every day you will think "I have the source code to life, to the very universe! I can do anything! But... not today, maybe tomorrow. I'm kind of busy today, plus there's this new game on Steam I want to check out."

So why should I go to the effort of packaging up the source code to life, making a web page and a tutorial of how to compile it, and what constants can be tweaked to make everything work out just fine to people who won't do anything with it. "Look! Here's a web page I found with the source code to life, I will bookmark that for later, ooh! kittens riding Roombas! Awesome!"

I give out a guide that will help those people who are already driven to succeed get there a little faster.

That, my friend, is just crazy talk. Come, read more of our wisdom, become a learned internet denizen. Would you like to sign up for our workshop?

45. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

haha. That was awesome.

46. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

There's one thing that hasn't changed, this new Justin Lloyd is more grumpy than the old one.

47. Arowx

Arowx

Sorry can't right now got to put my hand up!

48. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

That is the correct answer. You can put your hand down now.

49. Arowx

Arowx

Progress Update!

Based on current ad revenue from Kongregate games it will take about 446 years to reach 12k! ;o)

50. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You need, what, £250 per week? (£240, if you take two weeks off for Christmas...) I think you'd have to be consistently in the top 10 on Kongregate to make that much money, based on my one data point (a conversation with Tenebrous about Accelerator), so I would look at a different route. Being "above average" is possible. Being consistently in the top 10 globally for 50 continuous weeks may be a bit much to expect.